Akai MPC One [ Retired : Search for MPC Thread ]

You can’t assign the whole MPC to a dedicated midi channel, but you can assign each track to a dedicated midi channel (and even input). (track view -> input column)

1 Like

Thanks for the reply!

I have 2 tracks, each with it’s own midi channel.
Track1 using a hype synth(midi channel 1)
Track2 using a mellotron(midi channel 2)

When I choose to play midi channel 1 on my Keystep 37 and activate Track2 on the MPC One it plays the mellotron(midi channel 2). I would expect no sound, but it just pays. Is there something I do wrong or do not understand?

I tried to find this in the manual, but maybe I have overlooked it.

Preferences -> Midi / Sync -> Keystep -> Input Ports: Make sure it’s set to “Track” and not to “Master”.

1 Like

I ran into this early on, and thought it was very weird too. Since then I started using controller mode more and starting to dig it. No where as smooth as Elektron, but it’s great for “docking” the MPC after using it remote. I have a live 2, so I literally take it to another room, then bring it back into my studio space.

Not sure if you resolved this but I had a quick look at the mpc. You have to click that little “eye” on the main page next to the house symbol on the left hand side. That expands the settings and you should be able to find the midi input channel from there. It’s default setting is “All”, just select the channel.

I haven’t tried but I ran into the same problem you had yesterday but it was too late at night to play around with it.

1 Like

@rtme "track’’ was selected. Thanks!

@J-Hz That was the solution, thanks!

btw…I tried to play track2(midi channel 2) while track1 was active, but no sound. Or is it only possible to play the active track with a external midi keyboard?

I’ve hat fatpads from them before, good stuff

1 Like

I’m not near an MPC right now, but I think you need to arm the tracks you would like to trigger. You can arm multiple tracks.

2 Likes

That sounds logical, I will try this later today. I will report back. Thanks again!

Update : that did the trick.

1 Like

I bought my MPC One 2nd-hand, no manual or software card included. What software serial/licenses are included when you buy a new one?

A bunch of free expansions and the MPC desktop DAW for free and several other AIR PlugIns and promotional offerings.

1 Like

Is that the MPC 2 software license? Or the MPC Beats?

MPC 2

I think if you get the serial from the machine settings/info page you will be able to register it. I’ve read elsewhere that there’s no need to to transfer software when selling. You should join Mpc-forums.com which is a great forum for mpc owners maintained by mpc tutor the person who writes the MPC Bible. You’ll find more information & help over there than on Elektronauts.

3 Likes

Tried the MC-707 with the new USB interface feature You have to use the generic driver on the 707 (rather than the ‘vendor’ one), so I think you’re limited to stereo connectivity there, but it works fine in both directions - the MPC can sample the 707 and vice-versa. You can assign the MPC to the 707 channels via the PC In route, so either one stereo or two mono channels. The MPC’s output is routed through the master effect on the 707, sends to the reverb and delay are set to 0 by default.

It’s potentially a useful expansion, as you can access to the 707 effects and presumably (I didn’t get to check this) you could sample up to four more devices on the MPC via the 707’s analog inputs. I don’t really like the all-in soundcard nature of the feature - I’d prefer to have the audio via USB and keep the output on the MPC side. But it was a painless process once the 707 was set to the correct driver, although prior to this all I received were cryptic error messages on the MPC.

4 Likes

https://www.mpc-forums.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=211575&p=1833204

Thread just for testing class compliance.

1 Like

Interesting thread there. Seems people can’t agree on whether MIDI over USB is actually working.

Some peeps on the Audiobus forum said it works. I said “sounds great!” Then this other person started harassing me over that one comment, as if his problems were my fault. :crazy_face: Oh well, every forum has that guy who loves to play dumb and waste other people’s time, to cover up his own lack of productivity.

Short and fairly concise video take on the 2.10 user experience on the MPC One. Browser improvements, pad colors for chord progression, swing settings now saved per project, etc. He even claims the pads are more sensitive than before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avj-VFzni4I

1 Like

one thing is for sure, if you’re an mpc user who’s comfortable with and used to the core mpc capabilities in other words you chop, flip, resample and sequence samples into songs or you sequence outboard synths etc… then these new mpcs are almost like flying cars straight from the future type sh*t…

sample freeze per pad on an mpc :scream: and that was long before this latest update… for a classic mpc user this line of instruments is straight up Bladerunner level sample based mixed with midi sequencing beat making…

10 Likes

For those who have never owned an MPC, the video is useful viewing - beats typed walls of text every time.

Is there really no way to set a sample to loop in a drum program?