Akai MPC One [ Retired : Search for MPC Thread ]

I never hit the CPU limit on the MPC Live, but I did hit the RAM limit way sooner than I expected. The lack of disk streaming makes it even worse. None is saying you can’t release great music with it, but it’s a music technology forum after all… it seems normal to compare instruments here.

1 Like

I guess I was just surprised that on a fairly basic project with 9 tracks, a few fx it was on 33%, which made me a bit concerned that when I eventually want to do a proper production it might struggle - but your comment gives me hope that it won’t be the case. Most of the videos I have seen on youtube are just using it in a basic MPC way, which is not how I want to use it, I’m more into the audio tracks and using long samples, as my pattern based needs are fulfilled by other gear. I like that it can do long linear sequences, not much other hardware can.

2 Likes

Opening the channel strip gives you reasonably quick access to the efects page (as opposed to using program edit).

I can understand people wanting probability but are conditionals so necessary considering there is virtually no limit on sequence lengths?

2 Likes

You are obviously not a workstation person :grinning:

1 Like

conditionals just put you in a different mind state when writing, it would be nice to be able to have multiple ways of approach available that lead to different outcomes in one device.

2 Likes

Maybe possible using empty samples on some layers?

Yeah, you can have 25, 50, 75% random as well use the slots as conditions like “play it every second round”. Just doesn’t work, if you use the layers for something else (like different hihat samples or so).

yeah that’s all it’s got right now, but it could be much better

1 Like

It’s the long samples and audio tracks that are eating up your overhead, Daren.

By contrast, my live performance template is massive. I’m using the max number of plugins, a 128 pad drum kit with multiple velocity layers per pad, and FX galore…

No problem with the CPU or RAM footprint.

Cheers!

3 Likes

The main thing I would say, and what has put me off getting one tbh, is the lack of synth options on the sample engine. One lfo? Mo mod matrix? Envelopes only simple shapes? Etc. Romplers of old could do so much more, as could rack samplers. E-Mu E4 series anyone? I had an e6400, but it was too cumbersome and big, plus that version could not read wav files, so could not use my sample library without re-recording. The actual engine is amazing though.

Well, the Andertons video captain8 posted above certainly makes it sound like another update is coming, and the special editions suggest that there’s life in the current line yet. I would think that if disk streaming is finally implemented, the OS could have quite a long shelf-life. Whether that would suit Akai, I don’t know, but it’d be nice if they focused on hardware that continued to support shared OS improvements.

I don’t know that I want much more out of my One - I don’t really need streaming, but it’d be convenient if audio tracks at least could do that. I guess there’s a lot of stress testing required for full streaming.

Probability would be welcome, and so would some sampler enhancements like a pitch envelope and loop end points. More modulation would be great, but I imagine that’s a potential CPU spike when applied to all voices. A master track would be good, but probably makes more sense if the MPC gains the arranger mode.

They’re largely quality of life additions, though, at least for me… the MPC remains my most useful sampler / hub, and I wouldn’t want to do without it now.

yes, oldschool samplers had amazing engines. I have fond memories of my akais and yamahas. I can’t say I miss the slow transfers, the buginess and the overall user experience though.

When I opened up my S950 I was hypnotised by the mass of circuitry. I have zero evidence that this is in any way preferable to a tiny chip with 30 years of Moore’s law behind it, but there’s something reassuring about technology you can see. At least with the MPC One I can still punch in numbers to make edits, even if I have to do it on a screen.

I would love to have the modulation options, that the Force got in that big update. Don’t need that Arranger, just give me Modulation-Options that don’t suck :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Cool video and nice sounds. I think “shows how simple the mpc is” means ‘for someone who has already got pretty good on it’ though, rather than relative to other similar devices, of which with some you can start jamming on after a quick familiarisation of the buttons. The guy who sold mine to me played an internal demo to show it working and didn’t seem to know how to work it, looking almost embarrassed when I asked him for a quick demo, so I suspect there’s a load of MPCs on the used marketplace from people who didn’t find them intuitive as they’re obviously very capable machines.

Really wish the backlit buttons were tagged like the Live though. Only pulled mine out twice for some evening session time since buying due to work and I can’t read them in the low output lighting I use then. Maybe I need a custom skin with clearer larger fonts for older eyes, or a LED USB light lol.

Out of curiosity, is Andy freelance? I always assumed he was a full time employee from his video demos over the years.

Why not the Force then?
Just curious because I’m thinking about a one for linear sequences, but also the Force, with the arranger, could be appealing for this task…

I did consider it a while back, but too big for my space and I have a MC-707 which handles clip launch type functionality.

I think linear arrangement is something the MPC does quite well, but the Force arranger does seem quite interesting.

Just traded my OP-1 for a Force the other day and they’re not as big as you’d think. The Pioneer DJS-1000 was bigger.

And not trying to sell you on it, but the Force handles clips 1000x better than the 707.

My initial reaction to having the Force this short bit of time is, wow. It’s pretty cool. Cooler than I thought it’d be.

1 Like