Akai MPC One [ Retired : Search for MPC Thread ]

this is all you need to connect the iPad Pro to the MPC for both Audio and Midi :facepunch:t3:ā„¢

3 Likes

I came across these videos today. They sound more akin to what most might make on an Elektron machine. Really lovely tracks and proves the point that theyā€™re far more capable than just making straight House, Hip Hop etc. We know this of course, but we rarely hear/see it.

7 Likes

sorry if im being a dumbass but how do I control VSTs with the Q links? obviously that track is a plugin track, I can set up CCs on a midi track but I cant figure it out for VSTs. I just want to tweak omnisphere with the MPC and record automation. not used to using it with the MPC software

dunno but this might help

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=mpc+Q-links+vst

some people think Andy is kind of cheesy, but
I think he always provides a special kind of insight that is counter to the notion that the mpc is so daw like, or confusing, or any of the unnecessarily complex notions that are heaped on the machine. more than anything else Andy shows how simple the mpc is, and it doesnā€™t feel like a daw to me (subjective)

10 Likes

Just like Elektron boxes, it really does feel like an instrument. If it just felt like a DAW, no amount of buttons, knobs or pads would make it as enjoyable.

3 Likes

Nice - I have my video-to-watch-while-doing-dishes video selected for tonight. I love Jack, heā€™s a riot. Iā€™m not so familiar with Andy, however. As a new MPC One owner, Iā€™m looking forward to this.

1 Like

Sounds like they will have Andy backā€¦sounds like something is cooking at Akai which will need to be shown. Watch until the end :grin:

2 Likes

:slight_smile: yessir

Could it be this? Rumor from earlier this year. :thinking:

3 Likes

maybe, but Iā€™ll be heartbroken if it doesnā€™t come with an os update for the rest of the line

Honestly, for my work flow needs, the MPC One is only missing a handful of features.

. Probability per step
. Conditional Trigs per step
ā€”> I want what Ableton Live 11 and Bitwig 4 introducedā€¦and the beloved Elektron kit has spoiled us with :wink:
. Act as USB Audio Interface - with MultiChannel I/O (I would love to pair the MPC with AUM on the iPad and feed multiChannels into the effects lanes on the iPad)
. Or just support connecting a MultiChannel AudioInterface to the USB In on the MPC
. Midi CC Templates for popular hardware (Korg, Arturia, Dave Smith, Yamaha, etc)

Hardware Updates for an MPC One MKII line :slight_smile:
. Ableton Link for MPC One over WiFi
. Battery for MPC One
. Better headphone Jack
. 4 Channels OUT

Not too much to ask for :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

yeah probability and conditionals is pretty much all I need form the mpc, but I wouldnā€™t mind if they went to town and put too many new and interesting FX as well

2 Likes

Good ideas here. I agree.

Iā€™d also love if there was a shortcut to get to the effects page of each program. Navigating to it is a bit tiresome if you want to make changes.

Would absolutely love if they added probability in a future update.

1 Like

Probability

1 Like

Iā€™m pretty happy but if someone at Akai read through the Z8/MPC4000 manual and took notes, that would be nice. Itā€™s not missing much but thereā€™s a few things in there - like a decent modulation matrix - that open up big possibilities

free-running LFOs would also be nice but this could be an interesting resource-limit problem if applied to 128 programs/128 tracks : )

2 Likes

Indeed. I really like my MPC Live II, but I still have my fully-loaded Z4 in my rack and will until it no longer works. The multi-sampling in the MPC Live II doesnā€™t come anywhere near the capabilities of the Z4/Z8 line.

1 Like

I had a few more days with the MPC One now, I think I prefer it to the Toraiz SP-16 and the Blackbox that I had before, as a sampler it is undoubtedly the most powerful out of the three, and the sequencer is better as well.

I like that it gives a number of ways to do things, for example you can do patterns or linear sequencing, and even combine both methods thanks to the fairly comprehensive editing options available like extract ranges of data or convert a string of sequences into a longer one.

As far as features go I donā€™t really need much else from it, better support for working in different meters would be nice, but I have plenty of other gear that can do this, so not a big issue for me.

Mostly Iā€™d like to see some operational enhancements, some things feel elegant and well thought out whilst others feel a bit clunky, possibly some of these things I have not yet discovered the shortcuts for though, not really RTFM yet!

The midi program setup does not seem to allow for CCā€™s to be assigned and named, which I find an odd omission given that is essentially a computer and even the old MPC-60/3000 allowed at least drum notes to be named. You can name USB devices though.

I think it would be much better without the touchscreen personally, a nice set of cursor keys, soft keys under the display and the qlinks would be much faster and more precise.

It feels a bit underpowered too, not that I have done anything particularly taxing with it, but I hit 33% cpu and 25% memory usage on a fairly basic project, so the promise of 4 fx slots per pad, 4 fx per track, and 4 fx on the master outs seems a bit of a pipe dream aka marketing wank. Not that most people would need all that anyway, but I am highly sceptical that it is realistic. Having said this I never ran into any performance related slowdowns or anything really, aside from note repeat not working when using 8 plugin tracks in a project, it momentarily locked up and would not work, but after a few seconds it recovered.

I feel like it is a fairly easy machine to learn, especially if you have prior MPC experience, it still has a lot of the old MPC limitations, but it also certainly has the MPC strengths too I think.

I think for me it might end up being a viable DAW/multitrack alternative, I guess time will tell, I quite like the way that the audio tracks work, although it is really a shame and quite dumb that it cannot record audio whilst syncing to another device, so you have to sync your other gear to it.

I explored some more of the fx, some are quite interesting, most are usable though.

The midi input implementation seems quite comprehensive, it was very quick and easy to set up custom mappings, I set some keys up to mute tracks, and did a few cc mappings in a few minutes with ease.

I was not expecting much from the synth and drum synth plugins, but they are usable, the synth presets are drowned in fx mostly but I made a few sounds and they were ok, editing is not too bad but I will mostly be using samples/audio tracks anyway.

I have not done a finished track with it yet, still very much in the exploration phase, learning the functions and trying stuff out, but quite liking it, it is deeper than I expected which is a nice bonus.

13 Likes

I think you need to try the X - basically the addition of the directional keys and the dedicated Q links make it a completely different beast. I rarely use the touch screen but when i do it actually improves the overall speed of workflow.

You hit the nail on the head with the DAW / multitrack alternative - thatā€™s how Iā€™m using the X now. Itā€™s the master clock and records as and when i need it.

1 Like

I donā€™t really like those statements. Does it feel underpowered, or do you imaging the power wonā€™t be enough for some theoretical abuse? You computer wonā€™t be able to handle a Pluging in every possible slot on your DAW. It that a problem? No, because you wonā€™t do it :stuck_out_tongue: No-one that wants to make music, is going to fill all possible FX Slots on the device.

My One isnā€™t that old yet, but I spent some time on the Force (Same CPU, same RAM) and abused it a lot. Sure, you need to sample, because you donā€™t have unlimited Plugin Slots, sure you might need to find ways around the limitation of the 8 audio tracks (while I would say, that 16 tracks of melodic content in parallel isnā€™t that bad at all) like moving loops to a drum-program etc.

And to be honest: Everybody should stop comparing boxes to the maximum possible with a normal computer. People should stop looking at feature lists, limitation etc. and complaining, because the funny thing is: Those that constantly releasing music with their stuff, seem to not have all those issues :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes