Akai MPC One [ Retired : Search for MPC Thread ]

reminder: we’re almost at post 666

Excellent, thanks for the reply.

I’ve actually been watching tubedigga, and his vids are what have convinced me that the learning curve isn’t too steep.

Yeah the GS thread was just not fun to read, and I have up after seeing the 700th argument about the pad size

I purchased the Bible when it went on sale (July 4th maybe) and it’s great. I couldn’t stand the Live/Akai manuals, but to be fair I’m not a manual guy. Self diagnosed ADHD, just not a good reader In general. So a well laid out, here’s how to with hands on is for me.

Side note: I also grabbed some samples during that sale, sound great and ready to load. No affiliation just a good experience.

1 Like

Thanks. Good to know that the samples are worth it.
Like all of us, I have a huge sample library that I’ve built up over the years, which I’m hoping to downsize a bit by using some of theirs. Mainly drum hits, but it would be nice to have a few kicks to choose from, instead of a few hundred, and experiencing paralysis!

1 Like

His acoustic kit set is awesome and well layered with multiple variations. Couldn’t agree more with the paralysis by over analysis. I mainly pick one of his preconfigured programs and load it up for jamming then replace as needed.

1 Like

:metal:t6::smiling_imp::metal:t6:

1 Like

A question for mpc one users: from what I gather, the mpc one also acts as an audio interface… but there’s this “controller mode” that confuses me. Let’s say I want to sample some stuff from Spotify directly on my mpc one through usb… is it possible?

I’m not on the latest firmware or MPC drivers. but basically no. The device itself becomes just a control surface for the MPC software - or 2 channel audio i/o when in Controller mode (this is on a Mac). You can, however reda/write to internal MPC drives (SD Card, whatever’s in the hard disk bay - but not the ‘internal storage’).

So I tend to record internet audio into an audio editor using blackhole & trim it then copy to an MPC drives or just dump stuff to cassette & then sample it in the trad manner.

1 Like

Thanks for your answer! That’s a bit of a bummer, and it seems crazy to me that one of the big guns in the sampling game cannot sample through usb. Even more when the box is sold as a one stop shop for the beginners wanting to go into hardware.

yeah it’s kinda weird (I think that summary is correct) and not what I expected. From a marketing point of view: when the MPC is connected as a controller, it’s the same functionality as MPC Ren or Studio :slight_smile:

This guy show how to sample from youtube directly into MPC software which is basically the same as sampling into the MPC. You do need to use the MPC software, but that shouldn’t be such a big bummer.

It’s not that crazy that the MPC can’t work in standalone and as a soundcard at the same time. That could create software complications that nobody wants. It is not unique to MPC either. None of the other big guns allow sampling via USB.

Digitakt has sampling over USB now with Overbridge.

1 Like

With MPC One there’s no way to access SD card from USB.

I believe there’s a convulted workaround, over on the mpc forum that involves an adaptor of some sort to enable this.

Unfortunately not. I’m hoping for this in the future as well. My old SP-555 did this years ago…

There are a few other flaws/features/issues I’m hoping AKAI will address. But it seems they don’t care much about user requests (see akai forum) and this is not reassuring at all.
That’s why today I’ve sent my MPC back to the seller.
It’s really a BEAUTIFUL piece of hardware but more support is needed from AKAI.
If and when they will address the issues I will be more than happy to buy it again.

Mine arrived a few hours again, and theres a lot of software to download.

Intial thoughts from a quick play on the demo’s are that it’s intuitive, well built and a fast reaction from the touchscreen. Mostly I was impressed with the audio quality coming from it. Very nice.

3 Likes

Could you check please a thing for me?
Pressing the pads (mpc turned off), do you feel/hear a strange spongy noise? Similar to peeling off a sticker…
The feeling is bigger on the central pads, less on the external…

Mine has a little of that noise when pressing hard on the central pads. But I have to press much harder than I do when actually playing the device.

My live used to have a particularly creaky pad, I ended up sending it back. 2017

Sucks if the one has it too