Akai MPC Live Mk II

I am interested, never had an MPC. So the day of trying one out will come eventually.

Was always more looking into a good buy on the online second hand markets (a 1000, 2000xl,2500 and lately 4000).

But I don’t know, prices get out of hand fast and I have had a rule that with spending over 500EUR I want warranty … so I prefer to pay extra and buy new over that amount.

My mint OP-Z and SP404A will be on Reverb soonish though. They just collect dust. An MPC could be on the way in.

So probably 16 x 11 inches on the MK2 vs 16 x 8.8 on the MK1, thanks to the speakers.
MK1 was already slightly cbigger than a Rytm MK2, right?

These portable boxes are getting bigger and bigger! But if it’s the only box you need, that’s a pretty small setup.

But, similar to the OT MK2, if you have a MK1 Live, you’re probably not too interested in getting this unless you really want that built in speaker and have some CV gear. Seems more aimed at new potential customers, or folks who want the battery but don’t want to buy a box already a few years old like the MK1.

Interesting for sure, but without disk streaming I’ll keep on keeping on with my OT MK1.

Speakers?! What year is this? 1982?

1 Like

Nope, that’s 2011.

op1

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

Yes, a toy :stuck_out_tongue:

AKA (i?) 2019

To be fair to Akai, they say you can hear your 808s so maybe they’re decent speakers, rather than the bassless bullshit thrown into Roland Boutiques, Korg Volcas, etc etc? Let’s wait and see (or hear)

1 Like

Well, as history shows, people have always been slow to learn from their tragic mistakes. :wink:

Cheers!

actually I find it quite nice to be able to just grab this thing and jam in bed … or in the park. The speakers from the latest Macbook are pretty decent … so I guess it‘s possible to achieve good sound on small space.

3 Likes

Ya, I love listening to other people’s music in public spaces… Ahem!

Cheers!

5 Likes

I agree with this. I’ve started many a project on my 16” MBP, just experimenting to start but took it further on the sofa thanks to the built in speaker performance. Being able to hear that low end just inspires you to keep going.

If the Live II’s speakers are at least this good, they’ll definitely be worth having onboard.

Definitely and it’s a good reference monitor for how many people will actually listen to your music as a final product :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I can see it working in a situation with a vocalist in a casual setting.

2 Likes

Akai just dropped a ton of Live II videos on their YouTube channel:

Playlist at
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyawkFIWnO1OKnlY4jpw5VqKFjRlI3zqm

2 Likes

Into the wild.

3 Likes

I kind of like built in speakers generally on portable gear like this, they don’t even have to sound great for writing, as long as they allow me to hear what I’m doing. Obviously no use for mixing or critical listening though, but who’d want that anyway?

2 Likes

From a Youtube comment, regarding the speakers.

“Noooo speakers. Just going to collect dust and junk from your hands and arms rubbing against them”

That was one of my concerns too and i won’t buy it solely because of it. I think it’s a f***ing joke.

To each their own.

I’m glad Loopop did a mic to the speaker test, which even on my iPhone XS, demonstrates a decent enough frequency range for getting things going.

Remember features like this aren’t just bound to their technical capabilities. They can be a creative process boost too. Whatever it takes to push you forward in track making.

And everything collects dust. If dust triggers one that much, get a decksaver.

That said…
Personally, I need to spend some quality time with my OT, and remind myself I have all the gear I need.

7 Likes

Same here.

Although i have decided to get a Force. OT for out there exploration & the Force to get back into making my usual Detroit esq Techno, with the view to try & get into Live performance. Something i’ve always shied away from.

Engadget reporting it’ll retail at same price as the Mk1. Was expected to be honest but a little disappointing.