AKAI Force

Hi, yeah, you can record clips or any length by pressing shift and length across the bottom and then turn off launch quantisation by pressing shift and ‘1’ (none) across the bottom. That allows you to have loops of different lengths running un-synced in terms of launch timing and length.

The only weakness I am aware of (maybe wrong) but is that all the loops will be in 4/4. Of course you can ‘fudge’ that a bit by playing really long loops without a click, and the fact they can be launched freely still gives the illusion of different timings going on.

2 Likes

@thomaso @Clarke_111 thank you guys! Much appreciated

This is a great approach to making Force a drone machine - really love this approach for ambient and drone where sync isn’t needed.

1 Like

To get around this, select the clip, then press the clip button.
Hit the edit button at the top of the screen or drag the locators to something that has the desired amount of beats you want.

Force thinks it’s 4/4, but I won’t tell it if you won’t…

Combined with launch quantize = none will probably get you what you’re after.

SCG

1 Like

Presonus has graced their live series III mixers (desktop and rack) with a new compatibility mode which “only” offers 34x34 USB channels.
I’ve tested my mixer with the Akai Force and it’s finally recognized :).
This combined with AVB makes it possible to dynamically and easily connect a lot of hardware instruments to the Force.

Here is the official doc on compatibility mode:
https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/articles/11189120184845-Compatibility-Mode-in-Universal-Control-v4

EDIT: Spoke too soon :frowning:. Mixer is detected, but audio is unusable, as if it was sent with peaks above 0db in the digital world.

4 Likes

Wtf it’s that thing? A new Leak?

Looking complicated with ergonomics issue probably? Akai Force MKII or MPC MK3 lol.

Sorry, no. It’s not a leak. I created it. I have the Akai Force and tried to imagine an MPC-style form factor of the Force. The height of the pads is equal to the Force’s pads. The width is 2/3.

It’s good, and makes sense to me as a Force and MPC Live 2 owner… a tilt screen would be good too.

Honestly, I’m amazed the Force got past Akai’s R&D team in the first place with its ergonomics.

What about the ergonomics? The flat screen? I haven’t got any ergonomic issues with the Force. I use a small laptop stand to tilt it like 20 degrees. Also from a performance point I really like the Force. The only thing is, it’s big. I never take it on the couch. I did with the MPC ONE. And most other devices.

The AKAI Force is now a very powerful device, much more powerful than the MPC that has no global LFO, no snapshots, no automation on returns or master effect, no scenes, no macros, and no possibility of launching MIDI clips, no audio streaming, so much for the MPC Keys as “flagship” device for AKAI…

Of course it would make sense for AKAI to reconsider the UI as I sense that a lot of people aren’t considering the Force due to its weird dimensions, I’m sure it would be an instant buy for many if it looked more “landscape” than “portrait”. The screen would also be closer to the user so no need to tilt the device when sitting.

Yes, and it’s placement at the top… it’s just awkward to use IMO… it needs careful positioning and consideration of what you’re plugging into it… I really like it in principal and have tried to stick with it a few times now, but I always end up getting frustrated with it and feeling like I might as well just use Ableton.

yeah, I agree. The placement at the top is somewhat weird.

I love this, would love to see what it looks like with the crossfader on the other side!!!

make it as flat/thin as the polyend tracker… it’s a wrap

2/3rds size? Wouldn’t that make it just over 8” / 20cm wide - smaller than MPC One?
64 pads on something that size seems like an ergonomic nightmare to me.

As is, MPC Live 2 is almost the same size as Force, albeit much “shorter”.

Btw, seeing the new slew of products from Akai on studio, keys, APC and other controllers, do you think we are due a hardware refresh in 2023 for MPC and Force :cowboy_hat_face:

No, I don’t think so.

2/3rds of the current size. It’s the compromise I’m willing to make for a smaller form factor. The emphasis is less on finger drumming and more on sequencing and regular keyboard playing. Think Deluge. And Polyend Play. Although the latter two have much smaller pads than this design.

Here’s a comparison

I would buy a force again if they updated the design. It was just too big for me

3 Likes