AK dedicated os update

Wonder if we’ll see an AK update that develops on the potential functionality of the joystick and rest of the AK hardware/UI etc like people have posted for in the wishlist thread? Seems a shame to see the AK basically being treated as just the A4 + keyboard. Potential there to do a little extra on it. Kinda ridiculous how the AK is cheaper than the A4 in some stores lately. But I can see the reasoning. A4 is really attractive cos of the small footprint. Shouldn’t be too hard for Elektron too throw some AK-specific voodoo in there tho and separate the two boxes a little more than they are currently and make it feel like the extra sized footprint of the AK is justified to more potential users.

5 Likes

I’d prefer the AK to my A4 tbh. Might consider trading at some point.

Yeah it already has UI/outputs advantages if the footprint isn’t an issue. Great synth, I use it on almost everything. Just think Elektron could make some of those AK UI advantages a little more interesting/functional.

It´s a pity that the click of the joystick has no function.

Also morphing between presets with the joystick would be killer…

5 Likes

Agreed. For me the following would be great -

Latch option for joystick position.
Joystick scenes function/banks like OT scenes (either 2 or 4 directional).
Joystick patch morph (2 or 4 directional).
‘Randomize’ option for joystick parameters.
Paste performance knob settings to joystick.
Joystick sequencer transport = forwards/backwards/up(randomise steps)/down(?)…

There’s probably a ton of other stuff that the extra AK UI could possibly do too if someone thought about it for a while, but the above would be killer for starters :wink:

4 Likes

The AK has circuits fine tuned to deliver deep bass :diddly:

1 Like

Anyone of those would be game changers!

Also recording joystick automation in patterns or arrangements :joy:

1 Like

This sounds similar to my concerns about the arpeggiator: no latch, no realistically simple ‘sync to sequencer’ option. I hope these minor oversights will be sorted within some sort of update.

Joystick patch morph between four patches! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

+1 on Joystick Button to Latch a position wanted held on Joystick. That non-utilized button on top drove me mad thinking it was someplace only documented in an OS update as no mention of extra functionality unless I have missed something in error? I have both the A4 box and AK and love them both.

I also would like a proper poly chain ability to make an AK8 seamlessly, as am not an OB user. Also, I am okay with not being able to record joystick movements, but surely a Latch Function could be implemented by maybe while the Hold button is on or Function + Joystick Button?

3 Likes

Im more than happy with my AK but i must.confess there is some ‘missed opportunities’ - when relleased the marketing tried to differentiate it from the four, instead of saying ‘A4 with keys’. And its difference and strength is its performance advantages which i feel perhaps have been overlooked more than should have been.
Still im overjoyed to be lucky enough to own one.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

I agree; it’s aimed at keyboardists and I feel the move to include keys has suffered a few oversights, including there being no sustain pedal input.

A latch for the joystick would be good, you could latch that with the sustain pedal … oh hang on! :loopy:

I can’t see how it could be latched, the pressing of the joystick would mean it would move the stick and you’d lose the sweet spot. Maybe this is another function to add to the HOLD button?

2 Likes

Yeah i think the hold button as a latch would be cool. Dont use the arp much tbh as its more its own thing to use compared to the P6 so i use that instead. Or softsynths. Or Kirnu cream.
Or… anything but AK!!! I think theyre defi ately missing a trick with not improving on things like Arp, and joystick options.
But if were honest most of us probably have another device to take care of the dutys we are expecting of the AK. And im a person who buys for what it is not what it might be. That old one!!
Any improvements would be welcome and make it even more of a killer synth.

1 Like

I also feel Elektron has somewhat abandoned Analog Keys… There’s so much potential but it seems they don’t want to give any added value to the keyboard version. You can also tell where Elektron priorities are from the fact that AK price has come down a lot while A4 price has risen.

Personally, I’d love to be able to see selected scale in the keyboard leds and have suggested it a couple of times.

Elektron, please give AK some love! There are tons of ideas here: Analog Keys Feature Requests

2 Likes

If you were moving the joystick in a manner in which your left thumb was stationary over the top where the little button is on joystick, I doubt you would loose that position in that fashion. I have a Korg Wavestation SR with a joystick controller and you become adept at stationary positions rather quick.

Using the AK to also play some of my racked synths, namely a Waldorf Microwave XT, and it would be super sweet to be able to latch the joystick to a position because it’s a keyboard “performance” tool. Also agree the lack of sustain and expression pedals on a flagship performance synth was a huge missed opportunity.

Aah yes namnibor, I just tried that and it works. The stick can be held securely like that.

The thing is, I bought this as the main controller keys for my setup. I didn’t imagine the arp would be an issue. Not trying to take focus off the OP…

Yeah; UPDATES PLEASE!

I’m digging this thread up.

You can latch the joystick by holding it where you want and then pressing another Track button.

A track other than the sound you were editing with the joystick.

:video_game: :video_game:

2 Likes

Count me also in the camp that thinks Elektron should do more with this classic machine. More joystick functionality and being able to polychain units would be incredible.

The A4/AK are the oldest E gear still being thought about, but it is very much an afterthought. Nothing significant will happen for these 2.

As an optimist I don’t like it when folks come in and declare that the negative side of an unknown is indeed fact, unless they work for Elektron…
Edit: I guess to me bug fixes are “significant”, but in terms of new features a4/AK already received a bunch so that part is iffy…

Agreed, sounds like he’s stating it as a fact, rather than an opinion, without any grounds to back up what he says.