Airline X-ray scanners...carry-on hand luggage & Elektrons!

Hey guys,

apologies if there’s already a thread about this kinda thing, but I couldn’t find one…

In short :

carry-on hand luggage, x-ray machines…etc etc …what’s the score with electronic devices like Elektrons ?

Is there a chance you switch on at the gig & find all your projects have been wiped, or the instrument has been futzed in some other way? I’m assuming not, but in short, it’s never good to assume anything!

I’m kinda assuming I’ll have to remove said Syntakt or Digitakt out of my bag for separate checking & obviously I’ve seen people do this with their laptops etc… & I know there will be plenty of you cool cats on here who travel regularly via plane with your gear - but it’s going to be new to me, so all & any input is appreciated ?

1 Like

X-ray machines should not affect the memory of your electronic devices.

Yes, take your synth gear out like your laptops, otherwise they will flag your bag and take it out themselves and wreck your packing arrangements.

7 Likes

if you have a digitakt it will be loaded with fart noise samples once you arrive at your destination :wink:
on a serious note, i once traveled with the microfreak and everything was fine.

6 Likes

but…it’s already loaded with fart noise samples …? :wink:

4 Likes

i just flew with my mc101 and my ep133 two days ago and while i did have to take them out of my bags to pass them through the scanner, my stuff still got held up and searched.

they rifled through my stuff until they found the suspicious culprit: a harmonica

so i guess a harmonica is more of a red flag than electronic boxes

3 Likes

I LOVE traveling with my digitakt and a field recorder (zoom h5). I usually just tie the Decksaver down with a shoelace, wrap a sweater around it, and pop it in my carry-on or bookbag. Don’t forget whatever cables and converters/adaptors you may need. And headphones!

2 Likes

cheers guys: yeah, I’m well used to packing for gigs ( I play generally 12 - 15 shows a year ) but it was more the specifics of airline travel & x-ray scanners ; all my gigs so far have been here in the UK !

My digitone survived the x-ray scan

1 Like

You won’t have any troubles, just make sure its easy to get to because a lot of people running xrays won’t have any idea wtf it is, even after you explain it to them lmao

1 Like

Not flown with Elektron gear before but I’ve taken other types of electronic equipment in carry on luggage through airports many times over the years (audio field recording kit, photography/video gear, even some scientific measurement gear for work).

Bottom line is the scanner won’t harm music gear but you will need to take everything out of hand luggage and have it visible in the plastic tray thing that goes through the scanner.

And expect the security guards to pull anything they don’t recognise and swab it. Also at the least, they’ll ask you what it is, what it’s for, and what you’re carrying it onto the plane for - and what’s the purpose of your journey.

99 times out of a 100 all is cool, just be friendly and helpful and assume it’ll take you 5-10 minutes longer to clear security than if you just had a laptop/iPad etc. No worries.

1 time in 100 you might get an enhanced check where they pull you into a side room for an interview and have a much closer look at the gear. That’s really unusual though and IME isn’t going to be down to the gear itself, it will be down to mysterious factors they’ll never explain. It can happen with high end photo gear flying out of dodgier countries where state security services are suspicious of journalists, for example. None of which should arise with a drum machine!

2 Likes

Nope, you’re good. We don’t need to worry about flash / platter storage with laptops and cameras either!

1 Like

I don’t know how invested you are in the idea of traveling with your gear but I’d consider looking into something similar to this clear hardside transparent carry-on for all the same reasons as mentioned above. You may still get the inquisition but it will save you the time and the stress of carefully removing and repacking, only being forced to take things out if prompted.

The Millennial II Transparent Carry-On 22" Hardside Spinner Luggage – Traveler’s Choice (travelerchoice.com)

Not the only brand, just an example.

Also, not saying leave it in the back seat of your rental car, just for the purpose of carry on. Anyhow, best luck with your shows.

1 Like

Ive gone through airport scanners multiple times with octatrack, BS2, and assorted midi gear + laptop multiple times, all carry on. no problems ever.

Airport Xrays wont affect your gear

1 Like

thanks for all the input guys - really helpful. :slight_smile:

this place is a great font of knowledge for all sorts of things !

cheers.

2 Likes

Have travelled with the digitakt & -tone several times in carry-on luggage, and all went smooth. Never even had to have the bags inspected after the scan.

1 Like