AH: worth the plunge for enhancement only?

This is what stopped me from pursuing it when released. I like the enhancements, not so sold on the distorted sound. This is what is keeping me from buying it really.

I got the AH for adding some analog feel to my software instruments (mainly Serum and drums), and so far I am happy with it. I have just finished my first track using it. It’s a simple 80’s synth track and I used Live 9 as the DAW, a 707 sampled drum kit, a Moog Mother-32 for the bass, and Serum for the two lead voices. I then used the Heat via Overbridge as a return track, with each track getting a certain amount of the Heat’s “Enhancement” preset, with about 60% drive and 80% wet level. No envelopes / LFOs on the Heat. In some spots for the leads I automated the send amount to turn up the volume & distortion a bit, prior to the breaks.

I like this little box a lot, it adds a nice flavour and is easy to use and fun to toy around with.

Here is the song:
Orange and Purple by Larojima - Soundcloud.com

Cheers,
Markus

When using it as a return track you should crank the dry/wet mix fully wet to avoid any phasing issues.

Sorry, it was a typo… I meant “wet level”. Dry/Wet is at 100%.

1 Like

Challenge failed. I bought it.

6 Likes

:joy:

let us hear what you think in a few weeks

I havent taking it out of the box yet, had it a few days. work has been busy and its been terribly hot here, so havent felt like doing anything. I need to get on with it soon.

yes using the heat while it’s hot anyway is not the best idea… it’S pretty hot here too

1 Like

have look what comparable warming sound units cost - like a Nico Iotine Core … 1900€
then say again that the heat is expansive

I got mine for 600 Euro new, so jumped on it at that price.

1 Like

Heat wave in california, hard to do anything let alone feel enhanced… :upside_down:

1 Like

Its heat wave here in Switzerland too.

1 Like

I wish it meant we were comfortable and analyzing sound waves through an analog heat… :grinning:

2 Likes

So…a few months later now…how do you like it now?

It’s been on a ship for three months I haven’t touched it. I moved countries.

AH on the mix buss is voodoo, glues the mix together real nice especially the low end.

2 Likes

Been using it on the master output of my live set for the past month. It’s great :slight_smile: I actually use it to tweak each of my grooves since I built them all in the digitakt. I switch presets from groove to groove by tapping activate, switch preset, and activate again really quickly (to bypass the click from switching circuits). Kind if quirky, and sometimes a slight change is noticeable, but so far it’s worth it. I do this because clean boost, saturation and enhancement all have there uses depending on the frequency content of a groove.

It glues the mix well enough for live purposes.

That’s right! I would not go so far to say that this unit glues everything together but it creates room, even without a reverb in the chain. A very nice add-on is the EQ and of course the filter, specially the peak-filter for boosting the lows or the mids. However I wish they had implemented a negative peak-filter.
Anyway, for production I prefer the clean boost or saturation or enhancer. The heavy distortion modes are from my point of view an amazing sounddesigner-option.
Placed after the sum before a master-compressor is magic.

yupp, heat into a SA4000 = :heart_eyes:

Although I don’t always use the heat, every time it gets used it works and gives that nice little finishing extra to things. Its subtle enough for just about any context too unlike some other clipalatormathingies…

1 Like

I loved Heat, used it constantly, and don’t mean anything negative but I did sell it. It does add something special and it’s filter sounds amazing! It’s only because I limit myself to working with three or four main things and because of my budget that I put the money towards something else. I think if you just want subtle enhancement and light compression/coloration there’s an open door for Elektron and others to make something that’s more specificly stripped down towards getting subtle enhancement. If money and space are no issue though, what’s the hold up? AH is a bargain if you use it for its full scope of sound design. Anyway there’s a little transparent overdrive pedal called Sweet Cream from Tone City. It accepts line level but it’s not stereo. It doesn’t even do 10 percent of what AH can do but it’s $60 with a super pleasant transparent overdrive and built in compression but it’s not voiced to process a full mix. My point is it’s kinda close but no cigar for $60. It’s nothing but a compact high quality mono analog overdrive circuit with built in compression. So my point isn’t get this but my point is there’s a possibility for companies to make good stripped down subtle master bus enhancers that are compact.

1 Like