AH: worth the plunge for enhancement only?

Hey guys so when the heat first came out i wasnt particularly interested… and was slightly relived or at least my wallet was. But now after ive been craving and end of chain box and havent found anything i like ive been listening to some demos and really like its more subtle enhancement settings

My question is: is it that good at doing those sounds to justify spending quite so much? Do i really want/need one or is it just plain GAS?

1 Like

I was the same way, didn’t really pay much attention to the AH. I really didn’t have any need for what it offered…at least thats what I thought. After looking into what it is capable of and checking out videos of what it can do to sounds for enhancing them or totally altering them, I started to think of what it would be like to apply those settings to my gear. I took the plunge, it was worth it. Before I bought it I watched videos with it effecting drumbrute, tr-8, machinedrum, many different synths and was totally blown away! I’ve used it individually with the A4, MD, OT, DT, Pulse2, Minitaur, Tr-8, Triode, and all have resulted with great results. I’m now trying to figure out how to use it as insert so I can have it effect select sounds from different boxes. Go for the plunge, in my opinion it was worth it. If you don’t agree with it, sell it or trade it, I know some people that are saving up for it as well, shouldn’t be too hard to get it off your hands.

2 Likes

same scenario here. saw the announcement, thought: a stereo overdrive pedal - effectively. Ok. Dont need it!

couple of months ago i bought one because i heard how great it is to do these subtle enhancements and to bring “warmth” to the tracks. played around with it and noticed: there’s even more to love about it (check my Youtube Videos). Today i mainly use it to record stuff, although i dont like that this is not possible with the Plugin itself.

I would say its too expensive - just to add warmth! But if you design Sounds with it, it can be a deal breaker, especially because you can come up with very interesting tonal Shapes out of simple Waveforms. If it only had a VSTi Plugin (not just a VST) - effectively being a Synth Plugin - there would be no hassle to use it as a plain “External In and Processing at the same Time” Audio Recording Device :slight_smile:

1 Like

a good sounding analog Stereo Multimode-Filter with Envelope Follower, LFO, CV and Pedal input + 8 Distortion Modes + fully Midicontrollable + VST/AU plugin for complete DAW integration ist to expensive at around 700€ ???

I don’t get this… I think it’s a quite good price for what it offers.
It’s really versatile - i love it. I can put it on everything and make it sound better. I’m considering a second one for my studio.

2 Likes

Yeah…! Guys, It’s also a sound card! Awesome unit! And It’s worth it.

1 Like

Gah. Well looks like im selling some gear then…

How have you found the envelope follower acting as a ‘compressor’?

that possible: you can even limit the frequency range it reacts to and then set for example wet level as destination with some negative amount

I love this sound but I really can´t use it as I thought I would.
Still waiting (almost 6 months now) for the update the makes it possible for me to connect it via OB. Then hopefully I will be able to give analogue warmth in the heart of a digital domain. To me that was the main reason why I bought it.

The support said that this update should be right after the Digitakt release. I can only hope, right?

Perhaps Elektron should be more clear about minimum demands for there OB. I use both AR & AK = OB without hazzel

So waiting waiting…// best Tomas

1 Like

would you mind sharing with us why OB is not working for you? I’m sure it’S good to know for others as well.
It’s working here … but I don’t need it. :grin:

I´m using OS 10.9.5. and that is not working with OB1.15. AH 1.02
So I can´t use most of its functions since overbridge mode results in total meltdown of the AH.

The support knows about this problem and as I said…patiently waiting!

best//tomas

1 Like

ouch … I don’t know what the support said, but I would be surprised if they put energy in supporting an old OS

I guess you have your reason for using that OS - but have you considered updating?

Well they ought to since this OS is specified among the ones that will work. Elektron only says that it won´t work with OS 10.6:)

Besides, the support assured there will be an update after the Digitakt release.

The reason I´m still using 10.9.5 is … it just works. I have been producing, mixed and composed music (sometimes giant projects) without any hassle.

Eventually yes there will be a new computer. My machine can´t read Sierra.

best
tomas

1 Like

I was wondering the same thing - wanting AH as ‘enhancer’ only. I finally got to play with one this weekend at a local synth shop and I wasn’t impressed. Not enough for me to spend that kind of money on just that feature alone.

Granted I was playing with it on the Digitakt that was also in the synth shop and I wasn’t terribly used to that either. I still want to try the Analog Heat on my MD/MM/OT setup and see what it could offer there but my interest in it has dropped considerably, especially when I don’t really find myself needing the other algorithms that much. (I’ve been doing harsh noise stuff for the past 12 years and am burnt out on distortion. The only thing that then appeals to me about the AH is that it’s stereo. I have so many cool and strange mono distortion and envelope pedals).

1 Like

Youve almost convinced me not to buy it.

I guess you to test yourself …

Im in two minds…so more likely to lean on the cautious side and save my money. I have researched it, I research stuff until my head explodes. What is left is peoples use cases and experiences.

1 Like

and it will end as it ends, as your brain can’t find a rest until you buy and then decide to keep it or not.

2 Likes

Challenge accepted.

For me, personally, I’m finding the Octatrack better as a ‘master effect’ for my gear. Especially after trying the AH this weekend. But, again, part of that is me just not needing any more distortion boxes and the ‘enhancement’ part alone just isn’t worth it (for me) at this time.

2 Likes

Permanently fixed in the audio chain. I never go full on crush unless that’s what I’m feeling.

The EQ plus a notch filter set right in the mid-range plus the Saturation or Enhancement setting make for night and day sound quality.

Definitely expensive and the same results could be achieved for fall less with a sound card and some plug-ins, but I’m into the AH.

1 Like