AH - Settings for live performance

I’ve tried to use the AH with the entire mix going through it for live shows but haven’t managed to make it sound good. I’m wondering if any of you use it for sending entire mix into for live performance? If so, what settings do you recommend. I’m looking for a combination of enhancement and glue compression. I don’t do anything extreme with the AH so perhaps it may not be the right unit for what I want.

I think a good starting point would be the just published set of presets for the Analog Heat, they feature many compression patches. See in the News section of this site. And I think the Heat is very well suited for subtle uses :+1:

Making sure the input and output gains are reasonable and not too hot is a good start. I absolutely love the saturation setting, but I have found that subtle settings are key to subtle sounds as most of the circuits are pretty hot, even at lower drive settings. Keep the drive below 80 and make sure you have the filter dirt setting under control. Also, I try to match the wet and dry levels as much as possible using the wet level and volume adjustment.
For compression I just set up a real simple envelope with a -10 to -20 depth on the drive and set the trigger threshold by ear, depending on whether I’m going for a side chaining effect or more of a gluey sound.
The EQ is awesome, but I always end up rolling off more of the higher frequencies than I expected to starting out. You can also use the filter as a third EQ band, either enhancing or removing your chosen frequency band.

2 Likes