Against the Clock Discussion

Alessandro :hearts:

Not a groundbreaking track, but she really does seem to use delays in a great way to add groove to a basic rhythm. Also bonus points for the RYTM mk1.

2 Likes

I’ve yet to see a “groundbreaking” Against The Clock from anyone

9 Likes

Groundbreaking in 10 minutes seems like quite the task.

3 Likes

Groundbreaker… @AdamJay

Man like Rebillet!!!
(No ATC though)

4 Likes

You just got Marc Ribellet a new fan. Hilariously good. Thanks…

2 Likes

Discovered Rebillet a while ago during a particularly nasty comedown. Turns out what you need during a comedown is a man in his pants improvising hardcore techno in front of a lot of Dutch people. He’s very good.
Funnily enough I was watching this video just before coming on here.

2 Likes

Rival Consoles is great

2 Likes

@Cepheid @AdamJay
And when that happens everyone will lose it

1 Like

Latest entry.

Genre: Techno

2 Likes

They don’t have 10 minutes though, they shoot these themselves typically so they have unlimited takes of 10 minutes to work out a sick direction. Hit record and bang out something along the lines of what you practiced, even if it’s still mostly improvised. No one would know how many times you tried beforehand. That’s why it’s SO strange to see people spending the first 3 minutes picking drum samples in the DAW… :joy:

Or, if you don’t want to practice anything beforehand to truly give it a fully improvised feel and fit the spirit of AtC with no cheating, shoot 10 different takes and do something different every time, then pick the one you like best. 8 out of 10 are soooo dull and so boring that I want to grab them by the shoulders and shake them while screaming I KNOW YOU’RE CAPABLE OF MORE MY DUDE!

It is rad though when they have a group of people all taking turns with 10 minute sets, the ones that actually turn out cool from that style are much more impressive. Crowd pressure AND a legit single take? That’s commendable.

2 Likes

Leafcutter John was niftily experimental: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1cmWFP3f8o

Years ago when it was ‘beat this’ Fourtet did a very interesting one.
But yeah, most of the ATC ones are basically the same fumbling around a DAW laying down quarter note kicks and leaving the metronome running. I mean why does anyone need a metronome when the first thing they do is make a metronome ???

9 Likes

Is it that difficult to do break beats? Say No More, to Four on the Floor!

I enjoyed Varg …

5 Likes

I also really like both combined. Four tet style. The love cry beat is still one of the most grooving drums I ever heard

4 Likes

This is the most fun I’ve seen anyone having doing against the clock.
Track’s pretty banging too.

19 Likes

I haven’t seen it in awhile but I remember this being very good. Luke Abbot on modular.

2 Likes

big fan of his anyway. but yeah, when step one is plugging four RS-90’s into a QMMG, you know it’s gonna be :fire:

2 Likes

And there’s a Missile sticker, bonus points for that.

3 Likes