Advice on recording to a DAW

So far, I’ve managed to record some decent jam/live music, and some very simple songs, but I want to record some more complex things into a DAW, in order to have more control over the mixing process, and to be able to apply some software effects and/or add virtual instruments to my compositions.

But I’m unable to find a comfortable way to do so, so I’m calling for advice.

My current setup is:

• Synths: DT and DN as main instruments. Volca FX, Keys, Bass and Kick.
  • Effects: AH mk ii, zoom ms-70 cdr.
  • MIDI: an Akai MIDI controller, and a midihub (4 ins, 4 outs) for putting all together.
  • Audio interface: Audient id14 (I use this mainly for vocals).
  • Mixer: alesis multimix 8 usb fx (cool mixer, but only one mono send). I use the usb output to record jams, which is cool because there is no setup involved, but merges all tracks together.
  • DAW: reaper, ableton lite.
  • Others: micro, monitors, headphones, the usual stuff.

Things I consider:

• Do nothing. Adjust levels and filters the best I can using the hardware I have, then record all together. This is what I’m doing now. Can’t use software plugins to individual tracks/instruments.
  • Record each instrument/track by hand, one at a time. Tedious, needs plugging and unplugging cables.
  • Spend some money in a DAW that supports overbridge, then record in three layers: DT+DN+Volcas.
  • Spend some money in a multitrack recorder. Could be a mixer that replaces the alesis and have multitrack capabilities, or a preamp (the audient interface supports ADAT and S/PDIF).

What would you recommend? Am I missing something?

I would do OB. I assume Ableton intro doesn’t do OB? How much would it cost?

Sorry, I meant ableton lite. Edited.

I find it rather limited, so I usually use reaper.

You can spend some money in Studio One 5. Very cool DAW for recording / mixing / mastering. Good stock plugins too. Presonus also made some gears that integrate perfectly with SO5.
Of course OB work perfect with SO and you can record your 14 tracks simultaneous and applt AH vst on the track you want.
Prepare a template and recall it at each new project and you are in good condition to create complex things.

2 Likes

you can also rent so5 for a few bucks a month, it has a much easier user interface than reaper. highly recommended.

There’s a free version, I’ll give it a try.

EDIT: Some time later… studio 5 prime doesn’t support VST plugins :expressionless:

Reaper does not support OB ?

It’s not straightforward, at least:

Do you have a count of how many input you’ll need ?
You could invest in a audio interface with as many input as external tracks you want to record. But at this game it’s very fast to need a really big interface.
Another way is to use a mixer and or a patch bay to sum sources before recording (maybe not the simplest setup)

Another solution would to expand the i/o of your actual audio interface. Since it has an adat in, you should consider the Behringer ADA8200 Ultragain, to add 8 extra inputs.
It’s cheap and easy to set up. And if you want to upgrade for a better interface later, it still will be useful. (I use this with a Babyface)

IMO you should premix the more you can before recording (actually it was the way before the DAW era)
You should consider a setting where you monitor your effects while jamming but without recording them. So you’ll have freedom of choice when you’ll mix your tracks.
The best solution is to keep recording your performance with all blended + multitrack of instruments, so you instantly have a copy and something to mix later.

So, as I see it, it’s kind of a two steps process:

• For elektron devices, get a DAW that support overbridge (or manage to get it to work with reaper).
  • For other devices, get a way to multitrack them.

Yeah, but be prepared that recording some instruments via OB and some others multitracked via some kind of interface SIMULTANEOUSLY will give you latency troubles.

I’d suggest to buy one of Presonus Mixer Interfaces (e.g. Presonus Studiolive AR 16). They are not too expensive, good quality and you get a fully fledged mixer that can multitrack all of his channels individually and simultaneously via USB to a DAW. PLUS: a full Version of Studio One Artist is included which is a great deal imho.

This way you can do extensive multitrack jamming, and add a patchbay later if you might get more devices to record (makes it easy to change your Routing in case you run out of inputs)

Check out legendary electronic music Producer Steffi Doms feature on “Ask the Producer”…somewhere in there she explains her routing and recording setup which works quite similar (patchbay hardwired to multitrack interface). She uses a much more expensive Lynx Aurora interface of course, but also “only” 16 channels despite the fact that her studio hosts an impressive amount of hardware instruments

1 Like

Prime is just to test Studio One. Artist 5 now support VST. It’s not so expensive compared to other DAWs. Even Pro is much cheaper than others. And you you can subscribe Sphere to get Studio One and every extensions for a year.

Reaper is very cool if you have time to invest in it. Customizing interface and making scripts and hacks to make everything working and looking as you want. Studio One work out of the box.

After fighting with the Studio One demo for a while, I managed to get overbridge working and record separate tracks for the digitakt, then apply some send effects to them.

That puts Studio One on the same level of newbie friendliness than Bitwig and Ableton, and sends Reaper back.

At 50€ (because I’m a teacher and can get an edu license), Studio Artist is a firm candidate to be my DAW. I feel attracted to Bitwig too, I found it the most intuitive of all the DAWs I tried, but it’s much more expensive.

Regarding the hardware side, the Presonus Mixer seems promising, but a bit expensive, maybe I consider it in a few months. The ADA8200 is much more affordable, and at this moment there is a good looking second hand unit in my area for only 100€.