Advice on field recorder + studio mic + sampler

Hello guys,

I need your advice.
I am looking for a device that would serve me as:

• portable field recorder (stereo recording, sd memory, good battery, compact size)
  • studio mic (when plugged into the audio interface or mixer)
  • sampler (I need to be able to record the stereo signal from my dj mixer so I can sample my records)

I have a budget of about £300-350
Do you guys think that something like a Zoom H5 could do?
Am I asking too much from just one device?

Many thanks,
Tommy

For that budget, a Zoom H5 (or H4 or H6) is probably the best solution for your needs, yes.

Alternatively, a usb-powered audio interface+ mic+cables (+a laptop you already have) would cost you about the same $$$ I guess, would be more flexible but also a lot (!) more to carry around/set up.

1 Like

Hey mate, thanks for your tip.

The H5 seems to be ok as a field recorder and to sample using the trs inputs.
However, in order to use it as a mic in my studio, I’d need to connect it via usb and select it as an audio interface. This would be very inconvenient for me. I am after a mic that I can just plug in using xlr/trs.
I might be asking too much from just one device…

I got meself the zoom H6 and i don’t regret one bit ! Great field recorder and great recorder. ( i record my OT DT DN with ) Also the mics you get with are not bad at all …

Can you use the H6 as a stereo mic plugged into your interface / mixer?
Or does is have to be set as a usb audio interface like the H5?

Thanks

I see that the H6 has a line output 1/8”.
So could I use a stereo trs to two mono cable to just plug it in my audio interface and use it straight in the daw?

pretty sure you could do that, yes.

I don´t have a Zoom H5, but my tiny Tascam DR-05 can mirror the incoming audio to the line out for monitoring (also the headphone output).

So I would be really really really surprised if the far more expensive/feature packed Zoom H5 couldn´t do that.

Other suggestion:
get a budget large diaphragm condenser mic for your studio recordings?
I use an AKG C3000 that´s permanently set up, to record shakers etc. and some scratch vocals/acoustic guitar demos etc.
Nothing fancy, sub 150€ mic and just regular preamps from my audio interface work just fine for that.

(I do have other outboard gear and different preamps but that´s not the point here ^^)

I wouldn’t use it that much as mic into the daw, but it’s a nice addition that I would use only 10% of the time.
So getting a separate “regular” mic would be an overkill for me.

My main use would be field recording and sampling my records.
The dj setup is in my living room, far from my studio, at the moment the only way I have to sample my records is move the audio interface and my laptop to the living room, major inconvenience!
I used to use my op-1 for that but I sold it.

I guess the h5 or h6 should do the trick.

Only question I have left is:

In order to use it as a mic for my daw, do I need to record in the recorder’s memory first, then press play and record that into the daw?

The ideal scenario would be being able to use it just like I would use any other “regular” mic.

Many thanks

from the Zoom website:
https://www.zoom-na.com/products/field-video-recording/field-recording/zoom-h5-handy-recorder

There are lots of output options as well. A dedicated Line Out with adjustable volume allows you to send a stereo audio output from the H5 to the mic input of a video camera or other device without the need for an attenuator cable. In addition, there’s a separate headphone output with a dedicated volume control. You can use both outputs simultaneously to route audio to your DSLR while monitoring over headphones. There’s also a built-in speaker for fast access playback, and a USB port which allows the H5 to be used as an audio interface for your computer or iPad.

I highlighted the important bits for you here:
yes, you should be able to do that.

Maybe you´ll have to set it up in a certain way, but from that description this is a feature they are advertising!
Basically this lets you use the Zoom as a Mic+Preamp combo since it´ll give you a line level signal output.

edit:
thinking about it, I actually think my guitar player is using a H4 or H5 as his audio interface/guitar interface/mic when he does demos at home! ^^
I keep forgetting because they actually sound pretty decent (for demos) :stuck_out_tongue:

Brilliant!

H5 it is then.

Thanks a lot for the help!

2 Likes

You know that H5 has 2 xlr whereas H6 has 4 ( you can even have 6 )… Check the little differences before buying one or the other

1 Like

Yeah I reckon I won’t need more than 2 to record from my mixer, and since this would be my only mic I think I’ll be alright with the H5.

Thanks!

1 Like

The Sound Devices MixPre series is also great. Little more expensive though

It looks really cool but it’s a little too big, the device I am looking for should fit comfortably in my coat pocket.

I’ve got a Zoom H4n Pro and it’s brilliant, it does everything I want. The only thing I hate is that it takes about 30 seconds to boot up, so it’s not the best for spontaneously capturing sounds when you’re out and about.

That must be really annoying!
I think the H5 should be faster.

Just wanted to report that I bought the Zoom H5 and it does exactly what I need.
I am very pleased, it’s a solid product.

Thanks for your help

6 Likes