Advice for portable speakers

hi guys,

I am looking for portable speakers/boombox or how do you call it
on the weekend I had a chance to play (at mk1 and a4 mk1)on JBL charge 2 which was funny but also a little bit too bassy in the end.

before I am spending money and time I just want to know if someone is using one of them.
budget is around €200-250.

any sugesstions?

1 Like

I have a Bose SoundLink III and it’s really LOUD and BOOMY. It’s maybe useful for impressing people in the next boat with muddy bass sounds.

The battery life is good and the bluetooth/cable both work fine.

I would not recommend it for sound quality.

I have a Roland Mobile cube https://www.roland.com/global/products/mobile_cube/
Use it for kitchen/balcony jamming mainly.

2 Likes

thanks for these two
checking out the Roland

1 Like

Fell down the rabbit hole on amazon looking at various portable amps. There are a lot more than I would have guessed. Might have to throw one on the wishlist for easy Christmas gifts…

How portable to you want it?

The Libratone Zipp can fill a large room with a lot of sound.
https://www.libratone.com/us/products/zipp-speakers

It can also be part of your in-home entertainment solution too.

The Zipp is quite large though. Portable to take in a backpack with gear to a gig but not portable to take for a casual walk wanting to have some tunes playing on the move.

1 Like

Minirigs
https://minirigs.co.uk

Up to 80hrs battery off a charge and you can link them up so say you and your mates buy one you could connect them together and have a soundsystem running off one phone.

They also do a sub which is fat as fuck! Again, connectable to the others but even without a sub they sound massive. Also they’re built like tanks so can just sling em in a bag no worries.

Lastly their customer service is wicked. My mate bought an og secondhand one of eBay that had some problems. They suggested some fixes which didn’t work so they told him send it back and they sent out a brand new edition one with free carry case :+1:

3 Likes

Did you turn off the bass boost on the JBL? I have a JBL xtreme and if you hold the bluetooth button and volume down for about 10 seconds it disables the bass boost equalization they put on there bluetooth speakers also tone the volume back on the speaker about 4-5 clicks from max volume to avoid distortion and give it more volume from your synths… not sure if that will help or not but I have found it pretty great as a portable speaker with the enough volume if needed. Probably still wouldnt be good to mix on or something but I don’t think any bluetooth speaker would be. I do end up using it as just my jamming speaker more often than not because it is so convenient and sounds good.

1 Like

no I haven’t
didn’t know about that feature will give it a try

minirigs and libratone sounds interesting
thanks for that

if it doesn‘t need to be portable I can highly recommend to look at the Marshall boombox - really good!

1 Like

portable is important since I am using two battery packs for the elektrons :slight_smile:

it is portable. But it‘s heavy. And has its own battery. That‘s what I meant…

ah okay - will also check out
thx

Hi, an excellent resource is:

He makes binaural recordings an compares boomboxes…

also have al look/listen at the teufel boomster ng :slight_smile:

2 Likes

uhhhhh! extra battery pack on the teufel
nice - will give it definitely a try

this thread is going to ruin me. :grimacing::money_with_wings:

2 Likes

I got the Denon Envaya DSB-250BT after watching his videos and love it, sounds really great for the size.

1 Like

Ultimate Ears Megaboom.