Adventures in the noise rock-adjacent underground

I saw them two years ago on the Double Negative tour and literally was unable to listen any other band for at least half year. What a discography! I always knew about them but properly discovered them just now.
Still remember the shock when I realized that it is the same guitar band who recorded such an experimental record. And then another one, when I went to the concert to listen to this “experimental” stuff and they played it like guitar band :slight_smile: Brilliant. Maybe it was the concept behind “double negative”.

1 Like

Wait what, they quit?

Regardless, they really are/were great.

I saw foetus in 1996/97 in London Town. I can’t remember the venue or exactly when it was - but they were great until they smashed up some fake computers on stage. Even my 16 year old self could see that was pretty lame. Smash real computer or nothing.

I was one of the oddballs who liked “gash” though.

2 Likes

What do you mean fake computers?

They had a couple of computers on desks and they smashed the monitors in the way you might smash a guitar - but they were clearly fake, and didn’t have any glass in them.

it was quite a small venue and smashing a CRT monitor would be ridiculously dangerous, ans they can explode glass everywhere - so it made it super obvious that the “we’re going to smash our instruments at the end” was planned and stage. Took the shine off - really.

1 Like

I don’t know anything about them quitting. I guess I misspoke, I meant I haven’t had a chance to see them live yet. Sorry for my English.

I understand. Let’s hope you get a chance to see them live in the future. They’re best in that format.

1 Like

Does Einsturzende Naubaten count as noise?
Saw them at the Phonecian in Sydney mid 90’s. Despite listening to them for years, It was one of those Sex Pistol moments when you see a band live and everyone in the audience is saying “fuck yeh, let’s form a band”.

Otherwise, was listening to these guys today

4 Likes

to me noise is stuff like merzbow or macronympha, rock music is different. neubauten is generally thought of as industrial, but in the end who cares.

2 Likes

Well, it’s all about that which is noise-rock and adjacent, not just noise, not just rock - and yes; absolutely love Neubauten, and have seen them many many times over the last 30 years.

1 Like

I’ve seen Neubauten for the first time on their Silent Is Sexy tour. Was in the first row and during the song Redukt it was so loud that the PA system started to collapse. Only then I understood why this things are fixed with chains…

1 Like

Lots of good mentions here, and I think any subset of alternative music is fine to mention.

Crass where a fave of mine, I particularly like penis envy and Christ! I was little teenage punk for a bit and into thrash, crust all that stuff

But I was always a bigger fan of Subhumans, particularly the day the country died. It smashed my 14 ur old brain thinking, a punk concept album? But by actual working-class anarcho punks? (crass where kinda art student types IMO) amazing.
I was and still am mates with a drummer who started a thrash band who where super influential called Hellbastard (he’s called Phil Bastard) and I’d always go to his shows with whatever local band he was in at the time as they would always without fail support all the punk bands still touring.

Got to see some of the greats like stiff little fingers, subhumans, as well as some who I used to respect but later found out where complete wankers, like discharge and GBH….True story, I ended up smacking the singer of GBH in the mouth at a gig as he tried to goad some audience members to try beat me up (cos I didn’t have a Mohawk or a leather studded jacket on, cos I was in me 20s and not a dick head) so they got a bit of a surprise when they got floored by the “hippy cunt’ at the front of the crowd. I was only there cos I had a skin-girl/punk girlfriend who came from a literal millionaire family, wanted to go see them. She was a total poser and class-tourist, and being from a council estate I was her bit of rough…I’d been around in that scene for like most of my life at that point, but it just made see it for what it was…thick, unable to progress thru life old punk band, with ignorant teenage poser fans. My girlfriend was actually pissed at me for battering several lads who where trying to attack me, and hitting the wanker front man. I got thrown out and so did two or three of these lads, and they actually ran away haha. I was pretty drunk and angry so was probably for the best.

I kinda prefered American hardcore punk anyway MDC, Dead Kennedys, bad brains, black flag, minor threat, and the early discord bands like rites of spring, embrace - the proto fugazi bands. Fugazi are another fave of mine, one of the bands I would figuratively kill to have seen live. A bunch of punks who grew up and evolved musically very quickly, into an absolutely incredible live band and the very definition of punk, Marxist, non-conformist, whatever you wanna call it.

Same with a lot of the NYC scene I much prefer to this day the ramones, suicide, rocket from a the tombs/the dead boys, Johnny thunders…a I actually think I absorbed the underlying idea of being a punk, non-conformist and identified with it and evolved the concept and moved on like intended….But I still have friends, who never did and they still dress the same and talk about the same shit, drink cider and live in economic and cultural poverty because of their apathy and lack of being accepting of ANY new radical ideas, a few of them who had never voted at all in their lives went out and voted for brexit, and now they are all down with this q-anon shit………

like the sex pistols were a shit show let’s be honest, used to like early PIL up until recently, The Damned were great, Gang of Four, Penetration (I actually know Pauline Murray, she is a local and she owns an awesome rehearsal space/recording studio here) but i so much prefer U.K. post-punk bands and the indie scene that emerged because of it, its rich history full of actually great and revolutionary bands be proud of…from TV personalities, Joy Division, echo and the bunny men, The KLF, sisters of mercy, the Jesus and Mary chain to fuckin throbbing gristle/psychic TV/Chris and Cosey…and everything in between.

Basically, fuck the tribal mentality of genres, and celebrate any alternative music you like….and punk music was already perfected by ‘66-67 garage bands, the sonics, the stooges/iggy, the mc5 and the velvet underground :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Fugazi, fantastic band, I was/am a big fan. Saw them a couple of times in London (sorry @Fin25), once with Shellac supporting. Shellac were always better in tiny venues tho.

2 Likes

Not sure if they fit with the genre (or any genre) but one of my favourite bands is Tera Melos. Seen them live a couple of times, once in 2014 when they played 40 Rods which blew my mind. Got to hang out with Nick for a bit and buy him a beer.

3 Likes

Yeah, ive been involved with the punk scene half my life, but have always listened to mostly other music because punk is so conformist and has been for decades. I like the people, I like their attitude and DIY till I die but the music really bores me.

1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKCrpBIo_Ns
My all time favourite noisy but groovy as f….
rock song from grave.
My first ever concert was motörhead so everything after was quite lame. ( except slayer and of course squat (noise) concerts. Didn‘t see sunn but heard the same about them.

1 Like

tera melos is so formative to me but they really went down a path i wasn’t interested in following. saw them a couple times in 2012/13 but it was with the new drummer, everyone begged for 40 rods and you could tell the band gritted their teeth through it and the new drummer wasn’t quite up to the task. coincidentally their original drummer played with marnie stern at the same gig.

the other day i discovered that nick had gotten around to releasing some of his electronic stuff, i’ve been waiting for him to do a proper album of the interlude bits they’d do on the by the end of tonight split and that misadventures video.

1 Like

i totally relate to this, 90% of the shows i go to/play in are local punk bands, you would never find me listening to it outside that context though. i only care to see it if my friends are the ones playing it.

Always - The Underworld gigs in London were my favourites when the sweat dripped off the walls.

2 Likes

Absofuckinglutely!