Adventures in the noise rock-adjacent underground

Also…John Dieterich, one of the two guitars in Deerhoof.
His music is adventure indeed :

65 days of static. Discovered them at Motel Mozaique festival in 2006, in the little basement room of Nighttown, Rotterdam. Blew the place apart.

4 Likes

just listened to this for the first time in a while today

8 Likes

Speaking of Neil Young, this seems like a place where people might have some info:

Years ago, maybe 1999 or 2000, I found a long blog post (not WMFU I don’t think, but similar) about a 3 day festival that Sub-Pop put on in the early 90s that was called either “Vermontstress” or “Vermontsrous” (I remember it being the former but the latter makes more sense). It didn’t do well so the plans for making it annual never materialized. The post included a download of soundboards of the entire festival, and Codeine’s set had an amazing cover of the song Don’t Cry by Neil Young and the Restless. I always want to recommend it to people but I lost all the mp3s in a hard drive crash years ago and now I can’t find anything online about the festival, much less the recordings. It was full sets by basically every noteworthy Sub Pop band ca. 1994 and unless there’s some obvious search result I’m missing or I’ve completely misremembered the name of the thing, it seems like a lost media situation.

Anyone else know anything about it?

P.S. listen to Bugskull more often!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4DY03B0pTM

EDIT: (and Skullflower but that goes without saying)

2 Likes

ooooooh, Whitehouse…

Now you’re fucking talking.

4 Likes

I bet it was. Lightning Bolt waking everyone up one morning at ATP with a gig in one of the courtyards was great, but the huge swirling circle that churned around them at The Garage was quite a remarkable moment of flocking in action.

1 Like

Too much acid and squirming on the floor listening to “I’m coming up yr…” - what a baptism.

3 Likes

Fuck yeah The Locust - silly costumes, bowel-churning noise and loads of stagediving - check.

3 Likes

Boredoms live is maybe the best show I’ve been to. Cut Hands was bloody good too.

4 Likes

I only caught them later on when they were more percussive and less space rock, but they were still pretty mind-blowing.

I got to see Boredoms in San Francisco circa ‘98-‘99 (those years are kind of a blur) and it was phenomenal.

2 Likes

Brainbombs! Whitehouse!

That’s all :grinning:

1 Like

I dont know if this applies here, but I always find myself drawn back to Alec Empire’s music, specifically Intelligence and Sacrifice. About to mow the lawn, and that’s what I’ll be listening to.

2 Likes

The drummer for Codeine played guitar for the band Come, and they also played Vermonstress. Their reissue of their first record has the set from Vermonstress. They absolutely killed. They also blew Nirvana off the stage when I saw them.

2 Likes

I know Crass are a punk band, but they had some very noisy, static-y stuff. Could they be classed as noise.?

2 Likes

The Sword

1 Like

Let’s not forget the Connecticut hippies who invented black metal back in 1969.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8jOhqOsouM

EDIT: maybe I’m misremembering, but I’m pretty sure they came out of the same CT scene that Ed Askew was involved with before he moved to New York.

A favorite show of mine was Fantomas at The Knitting Factory in NYC in 97/98…crowd was full of metalheads expecting something relatively trad…little did they know what they were in for. Only took a couple of short “songs” before the crowd got restless, with dudes screaming “play a f*#king song!”. It was great to watch/witness.

2 Likes

Saw Fantômas multiple times, but there was one gig with a fun incident :
After the first few tracks, Patton seemed more and more pissed, specially towards Lombardo.
Suddenly Patton stopped the band, pointed his finger to Lombardo and indicated the backstage like he was saying : " You ! in my office ! NOW !"
Patton left the stage like he was going to punch someone on the way, leaving no other choice for the band but to follow.

So, it’s pretty easy to imagine how Michael expressed his discontent about Dave’s performance.

They came back a few minutes later and then, it was like Patton reinitialized Lombardo by letting him do an epic drum solo/performance.
Patton was making gestures like a conductor/shaman to boost Lombardo.

The skit led to the whole band back on track with it’s magic.

A great night.

4 Likes

Speaking of Patton - saw him with Zu in 2008, that was quite noisy too. It was special to me, because I was there with my mother, who introduced me to FNM records years before. She didn’t enjoy the music but was happy to see Mike from closer distance than on stadium gigs… :slight_smile:

1 Like