Sampling length issues at specific BPM values

I resampled 64 steps of a 4/4 kick pattern (threshold setting = 0) using the new RLEN parameter. As you can see on the screenshot, the end of the resulting sample isn’t exactly the end of the pattern.

(Note: This is not a graphical problem, you can hear that the resulting sample doesn’t loop correctly)

EDIT: Issue seems to be related to BPM value and RLEN parameter (see the postings below). Steps to recreate the issue here

1 Like

I wondered how well this would work, since record start is based on threshold, and not a record trig like on the Octatrack.

1 Like

I was very excited about the new feature until I tried it out in practice.

Only with Threshold as sampling trigger a time controlled sampling makes no sense. I don’t understand why Elektron doesn’t offer the option to start the internal resampling with the play button.

7 Likes

did you exceed the sampling time?

Im getting perfect loops doing this with various different kick drums my threshold is at 10, are you clocking it externally? maybe some slight drift could cause that to happen

No external sync. Only one internal kick track.

1 Like

Hmm I am still getting perfect loops with threshold at 0 now… what BPM are you at so I can test

1 Like

Works perfectly for me. Can you better describe what doesn’t work when you try? Artifacts or clicking, or noticeably out of time?

A few options.

Don’t use 0 threshold. ( I only tried with a higher threshold and it seemed fine for my test cases)
Don’t use digitakt , sell it
Try recording it in 16 or 32 chunks … not as convenient I know.
Try different bpm / half speed with drums pitched down to compensate or something
Fill in request form for ‘press play to start recording ‘ which I’m sure they’re already aware of
Record it as normal and trim in a daw / ableton etc

4 Likes

Here’s a quick update …

Tempo is 108 bpm. It’s a simple kick pattern using the default kick “BD Digit”. Sample source is track 1 only.

The threshold setting has nothing to do with this issue. I have tried different settings from 0 - 15. If I set RLEN to 16 or 32 steps, the resulting sample loop runs smooth and everything is okay.

My issue only occurs when RLEN = 64. In this case the transients of one beat are missing and the loop margin is audible. Maybe it actually has something to do with the limited sampling memory.

However, I think I can live with it.

Why ? Seems the better choice if you want to start recording as early as possible…

2 Likes

I think I should have more trust in the threshold function.

Even if I use a value of 10, the start of the recorded sample is on the point. Probably Elektron uses some kind of presample buffering in the background so that nothing of the sample will be lost.

108 bpm:
60 seconds / 108 beats = 0.555… seconds per beat
64 beats:
64 x 0.555… = 35.555… seconds

This exceeds the sampling buffer of 33 seconds. It’s just cut off, because you’re sampling too long.

2 Likes

RLEN = 64 steps is 16 beats. :wink:
It doesn’t reach 33s.

4 Likes

Interesting, with 109 bpm everything is okay :wink:

However, I still don’t understand it. Because if I measure the sampling process of 64 steps at 108 bpm with a stopwatch, I get around 9 seconds. That is far away from 33 sec.

From the updated manual.

1 Like

No one reads manuals.

3 Likes

This problem has nothing to do with reading, rather with mathematics :wink:

3 Likes

This is why I upgraded to the Octatrack, long ass sampling at any BPM and no maths, haha.

3 Likes

Anything is wrong. This is the setting at 108 bpm and 64 steps. As you can see, the DT calculates a needed sampling time of approx. 9 seconds. This is not even one third of the available sampling time of 33 sec. So my problem has nothing to do with the available sampling memory.

EDIT:

This seems to be a bug. When I use a slower tempo than 108 (I tried 100 bpm), the issue is gone too. However, we have a workaround: Never use 108 bpm as song tempo :wink: