Add a Digitone or an other synth to my setup?

Depending on how dynamic you want to make your synths a multi-timbral synth COULD be cool?

If you’re just looking for a versatile sound generator to sample or muck about in your samplers with maybe one variable synth track to mess up live, the hydra explorer might be preferable.

It really depends what you want to do and how much effort you want to put into the synthesis

Or! Save a bit of money, get a simple but wildly versatile Arturia MicroFreak and sample it, layer it, and mess it the heck up in your OT

1 Like

Nice! Thanks. I can truly relate to the “keeping it simple” aspect.

…if u like the elektron workflow, u can add a third one…since up to three at once still make sense and knowing ur way around is a huge advantage…

and sure u need a synth, since sampling is all covered…

digitone is a great option…
but so is the syntakt…
u got already external midi sequencing options at hand, so the syntakt might be the right choice…
don’t think, oh, it’s another groovebox…
it’s truly a synth, where analog meets digital, with heaps of options to harvest analog and digital soundengines within pretty fancy shortcuts…therefor, a perfect synth for somebody who does not wanna get lost in too complex synthparameters but still harvesting a super versatile instrument…

oh, and a warm welcome…

1 Like

Multitimbral is fun, but I’m open to anything really. I’m intuitive when I create, and in the end don’t use instruments that’s too much hassle, so that’s the main goal with whatever I choose. The PERfourMER MKII seem fun in that way, great sounding and very direct. Thanks for your ideas! These synths are also on my radar now…

Cool. I was looking and thinking about syntakt too, and this (ST vs DN) was actually another question of mine you just answered (I’m sure the forum also have similar posts). Syntakt also seem like the perfect machine to bring on trips.

I would love to add rytm mk2 in the future when I feel ready. But I got DT instead because it was cheaper. I’m open to selling the DT in the future to replace with AR. A setup with syntakt makes sense in all scenarios.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Edit: for clarity

1 Like

The PerFourmer has been on my radar for close to a decade.

The A4 is cheaper and has more features, which is why I’ve never gone for it- but DANG do I love every demo I’ve heard from it :heart:

1 Like

I’ve been thinking on something similar having tried digitakt & syntakt combo recently.
If I added my bass station 2 and an acid box that would cover an awful lot of territory in a very small space. Sending an arpeggiator, mod/pitch wheel into digitakt and being able to play the syntakt synths. would also be v cool.

I’m now watching demos of the PerFourmer mk2 and its all your fault

1 Like

:slight_smile: Vermona Perfourmer alternative?

1 Like

Yes it would! If you had to sell the digitakt or syntakt, which one would you choose?

I think one of the benefits of a DN would be cohesiveness. I have DT, DN, MD, and just got a ST. I also use the DT to control stand alone synths, but I have to say just DT and DN alone is a wonderful combo.

If you like the Elektron workflow, I’d highly recommend going the DN route. I find one of the most satisfying things, is the fact that it’s such contained sound designing environment, and if you’re already immersed in the Elektron mindset with the other two boxes, in a weird way it highlights how powerful of a synth engine the DN is in contrast. Yes, the others can also be ‘synths’, but the DN is on a whole other level timbrally.

I’d vote to go this route, give it some time staying in the Elektron paradigm, then you can always at a standalone from there. But I think there’s alot to be said for leaning into the Elektron world while you’re already there. That said, a Blofeld could be a nice little side buddy running it through the boxes.

Let us know how it goes!

1 Like

That’s a tough one. I’ve only had both for a few weeks. I really like the way the syntakt is a bit of quite a few things. The digitakt seems the most logical and straightforward of the elektrons to my brain. Maybe at this point I’d keep the digitakt, and add a synth and some analogue drums to it.

1 Like

Maybe start with what you need.

From your setup I’d say a synth that does chords could be something interesting.
8 or even 6 voices is comfortable, 4 less so but still works, keeping it minimal.

The commentary you make on the sound would let me think you would rather go for an analog (or virtual analog) synth.

As for onboard Elektron sequencer or not, I personally prefer it as you can go deep in plocks/sound locks. Besides you don’t have to hook another piece of gear to play with it outside the studio. But yes, Elektron sequencer on other synths can be fun :slight_smile:

Digitone is very capable, both for sweet and harsh sounds. Yours to say if you like them: the palette is very large as any FM synth but you’ll have to think differently to reach your goals.

A4 could be a good choice. Plenty of options, years of discoveries ahead. Needs some dedication but very rewarding once you’ve given it the time it needs.

Or a simple Micromonsta2, bitimbral / 12 voices / cheap / small footprint / ace sounding. Quick enough to tweak, not that full of knobs but there’s the minimum required for a good experience.

Novation Peak is frankly impressive. Maybe a bit too large, but check it. Really really cool synth, with incredible possibilities, can be found rather cheap second hand.

OB-6 is a beauty, module (+ Keystep37?) gets you above the 2k€ though. A bit large as well. Every time I switch it on I get lost.

1 Like

I love my Digitone, but I love diving deep into synthesis. I’d suggest grabbing a used one. If it doesn’t satisfy, sell it for what you paid.

1 Like

Thanks, this is the other perspective and I appreciate hearing about it!

Great with the synth tip too.

Wow, you mean getting lost in a good way I guess? I love when that happens!

Thanks for your insights with the different options and all the ideas for synths, appreciate it. And it’s correct I’m drawn to analog sounds. :blush:

Oh, yeah. “Dad it’s time for whatever you promised me 1 hour ago” kind of lost.
Strega does this to me too. I don’t get much recorded, yet.
But pleasure is there every single time.

2 Likes

Hi all! Just wanted to give an update. I ended up getting a digitone and I absolutely love it! Thank you for all your input. Reread the advice now, and every single comment is so helpful and clever.

I’ve also realized (as someone pointed out) three elektron boxes is too much for me. Next thread from me will be: Should I sell the digitakt?

1 Like

You don’t have to use all three simultaneously. There’s a DT vs OT thread active where consensus seems to be that they are different enough. Give it some time.

1 Like