Acidcore and other kickdrums

Hello, I’m reaching out to you because I’m struggling to create this kind of kick with the AR. I understand the basic concept: BD and SD on separate layers, each using a different kick (2 BD plastics?). One should be filtered with a high-pass filter (HPF), and the other with a low-pass filter (LPF). There’s a lot of overdrive and distortion involved.
Similar types of kicks are widely used by artists like Acidpach, Choko, etc. from Cult Collective and SHZ Records, but they use Ableton effects.

I want to clarify that my goal is not to replicate it exactly but truly to understand how to design a kick like this. The artist only uses AR effects, no resampling or samples, and no post-master effects.

If you have any insights or suggestions…

2 Likes

Here’s what I’ve managed to produce after some experimentation, but it’s been a few months since I’ve been able to progress further in this direction. To create these kicks, here are the specifications: 2 BD plastic type 1, modulation at 34, 2 HPF FRQ 30 and 60, no envelope, a lot of overdrive, full distortion, and a compressor with LPF. For the ADSR of the tail, a bit of attack.

oh man I love this things, so imo the kick not necessarily BD Plastic, I’d say it’s achievable with almost any machine, my guess is lots of fine tweaking and there is some layering of machines (if it’s true that the artists does not use samples/resampling), here’s my attempt with BD Silky (FTW), no post processing, obviously would need much more tweaking to get close to the reference and there’s lots of room to wiggle, and I’m sure it’ll sound different in a full mix

5 Likes

the kick highlights one of the harmonics in a very strong manner, which can be done using the peak filter. But the original is comprised of two parts, so I did one without peak and one using the highpass with a peak. I’ve used BD Hard.

(Edit: Since the ring comes from the second kick, the filter of the first kick is free to add a bass boost via highpass filter, if desired)

3 Likes

It sounds more like gabber-style kicks, but they are clearly very engaging and easy to play with live. I’ll keep these kinds of ideas in mind!

1 Like

That’s exactly what I’m trying to achieve, but even with the information you provided, I can’t seem to find the sweet spot on the bass (ring?). But I’ll keep turning the knobs!. Anyway, thanks to both of you, it’s extremely inspiring!

1 Like

gotta be honest I have no idea what’s the difference, I probably missed this gabber period, was deep in metal and other electronic genres in the 90s so I’m not that familiar with the nuances :slight_smile:

A peak filter highlights harmonics, it’s like overtone singing for synths. First you have to hear it, hum it if necessary and then find the same harmonic. In this case, it’s at 61, I have the strength set to 65.

Here’s a variant using the bass boost trick (mentioned above) on the main kick (lost my second kick from yesterday thanks to KITS grrr):

This uses BD plastic with bast boost, which is even more bassy (and the pitch envelope hits more, the original is softer):

There is also some kind of micro time distance between the two sounds, which I mimiced with microtiming. In both cases the transients are louder than the original anyway, a different machine might help.

Edit: Used BD Silky for the second kick to have a tamer transient. Main kick still Plastic.

Didn’t use the compressor in those examples.

1 Like

After a night and a day of turning knobs, I think I’ve got it! Thank’s a lot ! It all comes down to a subtle balance of the filter + resonance. It quickly becomes chaotic, with the two elements conflicting, but the idea is there!
And after all, it’s true that the kick engine isn’t so crucial, except for the color.
You’ve truly remove a thorn from my foot ! (I didn’t realize at first, but I’ve been following your YouTube channel for a while now, great job!)

2 Likes

Awesome! Btw., what’s the name of the artist? Flokky? Can’t find anything other than the soundcoud profile.

I found him on a Facebook group. I don’t think he has any other media. He must be making music as a non professional I guess

1 Like