Access Virus Ti desktop - still relevant?

@fattyparts Link? Thx.

Just dmā€™ed you

1 Like

I have the TI2 Desktop and got it from a friend for 1500$us Will not let it go! I use it with Cakewalk and Maschine Mk3

1 Like

Is the Virus TI still relevant? Dude, my Virus B is still relevant, sounds amazing! 16 part multi-timbrality is not to be sniffed at, beautiful filters and loads of external CC controllability. Plus I just got on the VirusHC software editor bandwagon, which has increased the fun factor and usability astronomically.

2 Likes

Iā€™m looking for a hard case or maybe a really good soft case for my still-relevant TI1 desktop.

Any suggestions?

1 Like

For the trip to Chicago? What about a 4U rack case?

That would be huge, and Iā€™m hoping to stuff the Virus into the back of my (extremely full) Corolla for the drive. The Pelican 1550s I bought for my Elektrons years ago are a tighter fit than Iā€™d prefer, but an acceptable fallback.

1 Like

You could just fill your entire Corolla with packing peanuts and just toss it in!

2 Likes

After our last move, I have been forbidden from purchasing any more packing peanuts. :cry:

1 Like

I start to twitch just thinking about them šŸ«£

Itā€™s fun to toss them all in the tub and then melt them with water. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Take a look at soft cases and semi-rigid cases for pedal boards. Gator recommends this one for desktop Viruses:

https://www.gatorcases.com/case-advisor-results/?type=Other&instrumentdims=Keyboard&length=18.50&width=7.28&height=2.96&measurement=Inches&man=Access&product=VIRUS%20CLASSIC

The Virus is 18.5" x 7.4" x 3.2", and that Gator is 24"x11". I was hoping for a better fit.

This looks good, but will ship from Bulgaria. In their FAQ, they say that international orders can take 2-3 weeks which is cutting it closer than Iā€™d like.

Look around with the other case manufacturers, chances are youā€™ll get something a little closer.

But donā€™t worry about extra space. If youā€™re on any kind of public transport, a little padding never hurt. Plus you can use the room for power supplies, an effects pedal or two, one of those salads that Chi-town claims is a hot dogā€¦

One other thing: I could never find an affordable case for my Virus Indigo. I found a mixer case that was the exact length and height. It put a small bit of pressure on the top and over the years it broke the post on one of the control knobs. Always leave even a modest amount of space and properly shape some padding.

Good luck.

Picking up a mint used TI2 Desktop today! So excited to add to the desk. It will play well with the 16 part multi-timbral EssenceFmā€¦ sequencing both with Tracker + Octatrack.

5 Likes

quick question:
Multi mode vs Sequencer mode? Seem like the same. But what would be the main differences?

Multimode stores all of the patches in the multi. You can save changes and they donā€™t affect the original patch elsewhere in the Virus.

Sequencer mode references patches at various locations in memory. If those are changed it will affect parts in sequencer mode.

Thatā€™s mostly whatā€™s different.

2 Likes

Only the first 16 Multis contain the patches. 17-127 still use references to individual patches, so you can use whichever style you prefer.

From the TI1 manual:

I havenā€™t used sequencer mode yet that I recall, but it seems like a null-multi mode. Instead of having a named / savable multi program, you just get 16 slots that you can point at various patches.

The only bad thing about the Virus is the documentation. The TI1 had a decent manual. The TI2 reference manual is very incomplete.

2 Likes

I was updating my plugins and found this!

5 Likes

Mystery Islands is a fantastic editor, I used to use it for my Virus B. Need to download it again actually, thanks for the reminder! One day I may upgrade to a TI but even the B is just so good.

2 Likes