Abusing-a-track-for-live-input-from-merlins-guide

Me neither. I realised it using a RAM P1 with a low number, so I couldn’t have realtime after.

I’m trying to understand why having the record machine on a higher number track (and thus presumably slightly later recording trigger than playback trigger) seems to let the playback machine retain the entirety of the old recording until the new recording is done, but the opposite situation basically makes it identical in behavior to OT, if it was intentional they certainly didn’t seem to tell anyone about it :thinking:

oh well, very cool to know I have these options on MDUW! glad I chimed in :sweat_smile:

1 Like

It didn’t surprised me that much, as mentioned @Open_Mike with OT SCR3 recording you need +1 microtiming to have “realtime”. I considered a higher MD RAM P as later enough to play reatime, and lower as before.

is not needed to use +1 microtiming for live input on OT though - that’s kind of a special case for special ‘features’

edit: did deeper investigating and I am very wrong about MDUW double buffering :rofl: I was the one getting tricked by a combination of the effects of the unanticipated microtiming and making longer recordings than I realized

a legit double buffering sampler is really cool though, love my tyme sefari modules, wish I could more easily make OT/MDUW do that style

Double your buffers, double your fun… :grin:

1 Like

the last time I tried to mimic the tyme sefari with OT I gave myself a headache, it wasn’t fun at all! :zonked:

1 Like

Whoa! Dude! More and more I’m wishing that my MD was UW- that’s a sorta conditional sampling trick that would be more convenient to work with than the OT(with external midi help of course(though maybe using a sep track and input as trigger MIGHT be manageable?)

That’s not that bad! :rofl:
One user stomped on theirs, threw it in the backyard for two weeks, and burnt the manual (BTFM)! :joy:
Octasmacked!

3 Likes

no, I was totally wrong XD you can see my enlightenment dawn over the course of the thread

technically this can be sort of set up, but last time I tried on OT I got a bit frustrated :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

messing with MDUW right now for a bit on other things, maybe something I’ll try again when circle back around to OT - not sure if it’d be easier to set up on OT or MDUW though

1 Like

Let me know what you figure out for the OT. It would be nice to not have an “edge” to the currently playing sound file while recording something

The RAM machines allow the MD to sample up to a 2 bar measure.
Any workaround to sample up to a 4 bar measure?

this is basically an extreme latency-introducing approach - simplistically, imagine you are recording 1 bar chunks at a time of some audio source - basically you would flip-flop the playback between two different buffers every bar, and only ever be playing back from the buffer that was recorded in the previous bar, in order to always have a ‘clean’ buffer full of information to pull from

bar 1 > buffer 1 records, buffer 2 plays back
bar 2 > buffer 2 records, buffer 1 plays back

so in this setup the active playback buffer is always referencing the previous bar’s audio. It’s pretty crude setup but has a lot to offer - could record longer than 1 bar chunks, or shorter, of course. Could be done on MDUW, but would use a minimum of 4 tracks. I was trying to set it up with a single flex track and 2 record buffers on OT before I got annoyed and bored :blush:

2 Likes

If you want to sample and keep the loop you can divide the tempo by 2.

For realtime at normal tempo, place a 2nd trig at bar 3 for each track.

What do want to do exactly?
It is possible to place trigs at each step, make slutter fx, pitch…

I try to sample 4 bar loop at 105bpm–MD Set at 4 bars
track 16 with RAM R1, 1 trig on step 1
track 15 with RAM P2, 1 trig on step 1
Enter the SYNTHESIS page of the RAM RECORD
machine and make sure that MLEV is set to zero. Turn
down ILEV to -64. Doing this you will record sound from
the main outs and nothing from the external inputs. LEN
should be set to 64 and RATE to 127

You need P1 to play R1.

If you place a trig with P1, it will played by main outs and recorded again > feedback.
So you have to place it after recording.

sorry that was a typo here is what I’m doing
track 16 with RAM R1, 1 trig on step 1
track 15 with RAM P1, 1 trig on step 1

Im listening to a vinyl records when i like a sound i take rec trig off so
track 16 with RAM R1, 0 trig on step 1 and track 15 plays the loop

works great for 2 bar patterns only and tempo must be over 103BPM or you get gap at end

I’d try with tempo divided by 2 to get 4 bars.

since he has the RAM record on track 16 he wouldn’t get feedback like you’re expecting due to microtiming effects - the playback trig executes before recording trig and will just play silence the first time through when filling up the buffer. Pretty sure I just learned this from you yesterday! :laughing:

Thanks above explains how to sample stereo input A + B
So for stereo input A and B and mono summing (just like Digitakt)
1 track with RAM R1, 1 trig on step 1
1 track with RAM P1, 1 trig on step 1
Are you sure it will detect both input A+ B?

thanks David

Only RAM R1 is recording, and it depends on IBAL. Middle position should record A+B.

Absolutely right! :smile:
I read
I wouldn’t write the opposite. :wink: