Abusing a Track for Live Input (From Merlins Guide)

The attributes timestretch setting applies to when you set the timestretch setting on flex playback to “auto”.
This is so you can use sound locks with different timestretch settings on the same track.

Have you been intermingling with pickup machines?
Pickup machines always have timestrech active, so if you load and use one that track’s recorder buffer attributes will have it turned on. This can be overridden if loading that same recorder buffer to another flex track, and disabling timestretch in the flex setup, but just for that track…

1 Like

The flex setup page settings are stored in the part, the attributes setting is stored in the sample slot on a project level…

1 Like

That’s for your help.

I haven’t used pickup machines at all yet; I haven’t identified a benefit in doing so.

:scream:

Hmmm, I didn’t think just re recording with a recorder would change the attributes parameter.
Are you clearing the recording, or clearing slot, at any time? That will reset it…

Maybe the recorder buffer attributes reset after power cycle. That could be it, and I guess would make sense since they get cleared.
I wouldn’t have noticed because I leave them on for the buffers and disable on flex setup when needed…

1 Like

I’m not sure what was resetting it.

I’ve give back to thru machines now though; seems more reliable.

Thanks

If I were you I’d just set the toggles in the flex setup, save the part, and forget about it…
I don’t think you need to not trust them and go back to thrus, you can if you want thought… :slight_smile:

Thanks for your advice.

I just couldn’t find a benefit from doing it that way but found delays happening when starting the sequencer slaved to Ableton. Not every time but sometimes.

So switched back.

Hello everyone,

I am able to get this to work when I start a new project and set it up on Track 1. I have assigned Recorder 1 to Flex on Track 1.

However, on my existing project I was never able to get it to work. The problem is that it is always 16 bars delayed, meaning I can’t hear the live input. It seems similar to the bug mentioned earlier by d2ba. Or perhaps it was related to using a Thru machine on one of the other tracks for the same inputs?

Does anyone know what might cause the Flex machine to NOT be able to play back/read the recorder buffer at the same time as it is being written to?

If you can’t hear the live input then just shift the playback trig by single microstep so it starts a tick later than the recording.

… and make sure you don’t pitch up the playback, because then it would run out of data, too.

3 Likes

OK, perfect, it’s working now. The micro-timing trick worked… I had tried that already earlier, but I think I did it in the wrong direction or by not enough.

Thanks tnussb.

What is the disadvantages of just using a Pickup machine vs using the Flex machine in this manner? Isn’t a Pickup machine nothing more than just exactly equal to this, aka, a Flex machine assigned with it it’s own track recorder buffer?

1 Like

I am struggling to set this up. Can you let us know the exact config for this “LFO on start” trick please?

Got a question for the live inputs.

If I set up a trig to record the live input and it keeps recording the live loop. Will it get continuously stored in the memory …this taking up heaps of storage room eventually or does it get put in the bin and disregarded for every loop?

Recordings are overwritten. No auto save so it will take some RAM space, that’s all.

1 Like

Per the Merlin Guide, Flex Machine tracks only use RAM, which on the OT is 80MB.

sezare is probably right - when you max out the RAM, the OT will just start overwriting stuff.

The Static Machine is what streams off the CF card, but it doesn’t have all the features of Flex. also explained in Merlin’s Guide

I’d like to wine and dine you sometime

1 Like

So every time a loop is recorded it is logged and stored?

Wait, so recordings are overwritten. What’s this about RAM space?

Overwritten means they were there on recording but gone once overwritten? That means a loop is stored and depending on how long the loop is. I’m ok with that, never use much more than the standard 128 steps anyway.

It’s saved in RAM. I highly recommend reading the guide.

I’d say recorded in the buffer, overwritten if you leave a rec trig. You have to save your recording on the CF card if you want to keep it.

Must’ve missed something or was too excited to intake past what I needed in the moment… something I’m very guilty of. Lol