Ableton or Bitwig?

Hey,

been working otb with Deluge as sequencer for a few years now but thinking about working with either Ableton which i have in v9 already, or latest Bitwig which i try in demo mode and basically feels easier than ableton.

Why? dunno really… more flexibility, moreoptions, no need to buy a sampler, better access to reaktor… and so on.

But about these two, what would you select and why?
Ableton is a bit convoluted imo, bitwig, i ot started quick…

cheers,
marcus

M4L with Ableton is why I wouldn’t switch… so much great free/cheap stuff for me…

2 Likes

if i had to work ITB, definitely Bitwig.
4 reasons.

1. native Linux version
  2. native Linux version
  3. native Linux version
  4. it’s very easy to modulate anything with anything in Bitwig.
10 Likes

How stable is Bitwig in Linux? I’ve toyed with the idea of setting up a VST host for 1 really good softsynth and simple effects chains on a headless Linux box. Like having a synth hidden away that can be sequenced and controlled from the OT.

I figure Linux would be a more stable, less resource intensive host.

1 Like

Bitwig.

The modulators are cool, but wait until you try the grid…

3 Likes

Live 9 is already very full featured and you’re not really missing out on much by not upgrading to 10 (although Suite in v9 or v10 is absolutely essential for me personally), so why not go with Bitwig if you already enjoy what you’ve seen/used in the demo version? That way, you’ll have both and can use one for little things/tricks and the other as your main DAW.

1 Like

i only had cracked 1.2 on Ubuntu 14 for a while — worked flawlessly for me.

PS. headless MIDI-controlled Linux box was what finally convinced me that hardware rig is easier to maintain :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
but i can reproduce it if i ever had no other options.

Decided on Bitwig! I bought it used for a GOOD price, and will upgrade it to the latest version soonest!

My only issues is that i need it to get into sync with machinedrum and all the other gear i have, but it will work itself out with some patience. Best solution is to use two audio outputs from the soundcard and generate clock from that.
Also, need it to work with reaktor and other modular hardware, but it will work m sure.

4 Likes

When I see this sentence, I can help but recommend some hardware solution such as MIO4 USB MIDI hub.
It makes everything so easy!
Very well worth the 100 bucks, once for all.

2 Likes

Curious, how does it solve my eventual midi sync issues? And how?
Or what problem does it solve? I’ve Always managed to fix it, it’s just between hardware like the Md and similar and the computer. But usually i fix it with One or the other solution. Expert sleepers has abfew for example…

I recently switched from ableton to Bitwig. M4L was a very cool idea, but too unstable for me with quite a lot of crash. I am not a huge fan of the Grid in Btg. I find it quite limited but it will for sure evolve with the time. It’s still a good way to build bespoke synths very quickly. I like to complete it with some PureData patches compiled as VST with Camomile.
Otherwise I love the modularity of the interface and of course all the modulations. The sampler is also very good. I even plan to sell my Octatrack and go with a Microsoft Surface Pro with Bitwig.

I use Bitwig now and for my need it is the best DAW i ever tried.
Efficient, works well with Overbridge, modular, stable and it works on Linux.

Right now im using Mac OSX but i have the intention to change since Apple is making my life hard with OS updates that break stuff, planned obsolescence, crazy expensive hardware, the impossibility of going back to earlier OS version that support my Nord Modular and other 32 bits apps etc.

Always had problem with stability with Ableton before (version 7) but maybe thats just me .

2 Likes

It you have a few pieces of hardware, such a USB MIDI hub makes it possible to have all directly available on your computer, with extremely low latency.
A thing worth considering.
Just saying cause it simplified my workflow a lot.

1 Like

If you have an Overbridge device, I found you can use that as a stable clock source: Overbridge makes a great MIDI clock source, if you have a way to merge the clock signal generated from the OB box with everything else. Otherwise yeah, some third party solution driven by audio makes sense. MIDI itself just isn’t stable enough for syncing drum machines etc. tightly in my experience

@LyingDalai i´ve been running the computer as slave to the hardware especially the MachienDrum which is well known for it´s bad sync between computer, that has worked best actually, besides using something converting audio to clock signals.
I think i will get a device using audio, thats absolutely the most tight you can get, but thanks for the tip. :slight_smile:
I have a very simple midi interface which i use just for fun, Roland UM-One. USB and midi in + out in the other end. Works well enough and it was cheap. But normally USB is fast but can be unstable sometimes.
I have has a super-tight setup OTB but now all i need a audio to midi converter, and actually i think i already have built something like that for my eurorack before and silent way.

@tdmusic i dont use overbridge, really, dont like it and wont use it. Will get smething like thisd, it´s cheap and great: https://schneidersladen.de/en/expert-sleepers-usamo

Whatever suits you :slight_smile:
Btw, with TM-1 you can get tighter midi connection (makes the MIDI connection 10x faster).

2 Likes

I still found the clock sync was no good with computer as the master though

The MD didn’t fair so well on innerclocks litmus test. https://www.innerclocksystems.com/litmus

It confirms my memory of the 10 years or so I had an MD

Yeah, but it works well if you use it as master clock, used the internal seq or synced it with a better tech like audio convert to clock.
It’s an amazing machine with no equals; sure it got it’s flaws but which one doesnt?

I’ve had mine 6 years now, and syncing it with a DAW was the manhood test. Then i grew out of the computer and OTB it has worked fantastic! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

If Bitwig was FOSS, it’d be great… but it’s not.