Is this available?, tried to see on move.local 7700 and nothing there yet. Looks great
Yup, it’s called MonkSynth.
i’ll dm!
Thanks Charles for helping me, I forgot to turn on wifi for Schwung.
Hooray ![]()
In light of Elektron’s recent statement, I’ve tried to make clear where this project stands in the OP. And just to reiterate:
- No Ableton IP is distributed here, original or modified, other than what is available via their open source releases, and under those licenses
- There’s no untoward access to your device circumventing any security measures, it’s done through developer-enablement mechanisms Ableton built into the Move OS
- It’s not supported by Ableton, don’t ask them
- You should not expect support from them or warranty coverage, especially with Schwung installed
- There is a clear DFU path on ableton’s centercode site for restoring your device to “Stock” at all times, which should prevent it ever being permanently bricked
I don’t know what Elektron’s stance will be on this thread, but in any case, as always: back up your stuff, know it’s a pre-alpha hack, have fun.
Picked up a move and first thing I did was install Schwung. Holy moly. What an incredibly cool project and community. Can’t get over how modular it all is. There’s every kind of synthesis and sampling imaginable in the library plus great sequencers and effects. The labyrinth inspired sequencer and voice sounds crazy good, as does the 303. It’s killed my gas for a lot of things and it gets better every day! The UI is also pretty good given the constraints, and it’s consistently improving.
I also happen to think a lot of the modules give Elektron synths and fx a run for their money:) There is a lot of very convincing VA (including the usual suspects stuff) on offer, plus emulations of classic and not so classic machines on there - the X0X machines sound excellent. It’s a total smorgasbord. Wild that such a tiny device can contain a customizable digital studio in there.
Only thing that’s lacking is a little more processing power on the move hardware side to support all this insanity. Hard to know up front which modules are gonna chew up CPU and therefore not something I’d trust to play live on- but overall Schwung takes an already excellent couch / travel sketchpad and makes it like 100x better. But yeah the open community collaboration aspect is what makes it truly special, like a glimpse into the future of music tech product development… Props @charlesv !
(My tonverk is a little jealous tbh)
I downloaded the Movy module but I was a little confused while navigating it. Is it possible to just use the original 4 Move tracks in Movy? Or can you only use Schwung modules?
Also trying to work out the interaction between the three layers. AFAIK…
- any move track can play underneath any Schwung track that is operating on top of it, thats why you can also set it to an empty sampler or audio track to ‘disable’ the move layer.
- Movy does something different, it can for example ‘kill’ the underlying move layer to open up more cpu? i think?
- Schwung Tracks (I think) cannot operate underneath movy tracks, once movy is loaded, you have to choose - are the first four tracks Move, Schwung, or Movy… I think in movy settings you can specify this.
Havent played around with it too much yet.
I love that movy opens up plocking via its own sequencer, plus the 12 additional tracks, but there are also some things it lacks that Schwung has. Theyre developing alongside each other with some collaboration and mutual inspiration, rather than going to merge (even though that would be ace).
I suggest you hop in the discord and follow along there
Honestly having all these layers sounds like a right mess.
Quarterly check-in? ![]()
I think it’s less about my tone, and more about people being overly sensitive. It’s a forum, people are gonna have opinions.
Anyway, I thought Elektron were going to close threads that promote firmware hacks. I wonder why this one is still open?
Classic – “It’s never me…”
Carry on… ![]()
It’s not a firmware hack though
Why are you trying to stir things up?
Ok makes sense
Ultimately it only gets as messy as the user deliberately chooses: you’re not enabling or access the Schwung or Movy by mistake. There’s a bit of a learning curve, sure, but its not like Move vanilla is devoid of menu diving or shift functions either. The usability has also come a long way.
The real strength is the open nature of the whole project. For example, I wanted to use my Melbourne Instruments Roto-Control motorised controller bi-directionally (i.e. have the Schwung broadcast knob positions as I changed tracks). Within a few days I was able to submit code to the project, and within a week it was in the public release. Amazing stuff.
One of the Schwung design decisions, for better or worse, was to not modify Move’s UI and existing alongside it. This lets you keep all the stock Move functionality, makes it possible to still use with Ableton’s updates, but also means that by definition it’s a seperate UI layer. Adding on Movy (or dAVEBOx, or RNBO), and you have a second layer loading a third or fourth layer. I don’t claim it’s as clear as an entire rewrite would be, but it’s a compromise for sure.
One thing I’ve added recently is boot target support, so the underlying technique to load Schwung (with move alongside it) can be used to load either another Schwung-like host that runs alongside Move (like dAVEBOx), or straight to an entirely different experience (like Dronage). It’s very cool to have the entire box transform. It also means one can boot entirely to stock stock Move, with no Schwung, and go back and forth, like when you installed BeOS as a teenager.
Inspiring work @charlesv! Is there any chance that the Schwung might someday be able to load snapshots/states via midi PC, so that one can be able to sync it to a sequencer?

