Why go through the trouble of recreating a module based on observation when there is already a module that does the exact same thing out there?
I had the same question - they said the chords, transpose, strum, and articulation are closer to expressive chords. But there’s room for multiple implementations of the same thing, just like in VSTs. I think folks have now made 5 chord modules, so I hope Ableton is watching for what people want so badly they’re willing to put the energy in to build!
I think it’s a semi-obvious “this is what the platform needs” module to build when one has the itch!
Not to beat a dead horse, but they’re on the discord if you’d like to talk with them directly.
so instead of forking my module to adjust to their liking, and improve it, they built a new module. Seems like an awful waste of time. I wonder why… You know what I’m getting at.
Forgot to respond here – Schwung tracks output as a Move + Schwung mix, since both tracks share the Schwung FX in Move → Schwung mode. So you still “just” have four tracks, but it mirrors how they are on device.
If this was true, I would have believed you but since you reject publishing and distributing modules because another contributor has a professional issue with the SP-1200 inspired module I’ve built from my own observation and research, it is, as I’ve pointed out before, a double-standard.
Don’t mind the different chord modules that have different approaches but this is exactly the same concept to be able to be able to publish it through the installer. Lame and grifter workaround to avoid credits and wishes from the original authors. Yet, in this case, you are completely fine with the distribution through the Schwung manager/installer.
Looked at your module a few weeks ago and maybe it was late, but it wasn’t clear how your module was supposed to work from the documentation. I saw the bit about using an empty drum track “otherwise the chords won’t trigger.”
Documentation still doesn’t thoroughly explain how it is used (does the user load it in an empty Schwung track and direct the midi to a different Schwung track? What does the user need to do regarding an empty drum template?) and I don’t have the time on my hands at the moment to devote to deciphering a custom chord device on a custom firmware.
Thanks for pointing this out. I’ve updated the readme file on the GitHub page now:
-
First step, for any midi or sound generator module, is to make sure Native Move sends midi to Schwung by pressing Shift + track button for the track you want to play and set midi out channel. e.g. Track button 4 > Midi channel 4.
-
Change that track layout to an empty/template drum track. It needs to be in drum pad mode to trigger the 16 midi chords in Chord Flow.
-
Then shift + Vol + the track button that you just set the midi channel for in step 1 to enter Schwung signal chain view.
-
Press the second slot aka “Synth” and select a synth you want to chord trigger.
-
In Schwung signal chain view, press the first slot aka Midi FX and select Chord Flow.
-
Choose a genre preset and tap one of 16 “drum” pads to trigger a custom chord. All pads can be customised and saved as a new preset.
Just pushed a big update with a lot of performance and audio quality updates, hopefully it helps out some folks!
- Audio path rewrite — “clean Move” is now bit-identical to stock, Move → Schwung applies Move’s native speaker EQ, and the pops and distortion during Move → Schwung are fixed
- Long press shorctus now on by default
- Persistence fixes — mute states, slot receive channel, session tempo, and Master FX settings now survive reboots
- Per-slot transpose (±12 semitones) and skipback up to 5 min
Thank you, sounds like a great update. Earlier i asked for the possibility to bypass slots on Schwung, is this something that is considered for an update anytime soon? thanks!
There are a few ways that could go:
- Choose what slots/tracks route through schwung master fx
- Mute/unmute individual FX on slots / MFX
Both are possible, neither are really “planned” in as much as anything is planned here - this is a project I work on in the spare hours of my life with a day job and a family. There’s not so much a roadmap, as there’s whatever I think is most important in the afternoon my kid is at theater class. I also haven’t figured out a good UX for doing the above, but if you have ideas, let me know!
Understood!
i´d be fine with shift + long hold on the wheel, so basically like we get into device selection menue but with a long hold added. This way we could bypass any device/fx a we need it.
thanks!
Just sitting here waiting for the Day the TB 3 PO sequencer gets implemented as a MIDI device
!
oh, hello
Just want to share a really cool module another user made that does random breakbeat slicing. Having so much fun with this.
There’s also a new site with a manual, module catalog, demos, etc. https://www.schwung.dev
I just saw this and wow. I have never seen anything that cut so close to where I wished things were at. It’s like that always almost-here-but-locked-out itch has finally been scratched. Knowing what digital tools are capable of, but not having the access to do the work. (Thanks Ableton). I’ve been fooling around with audio and also visual nonsense like maxmsp, unreal engine, etc. … imagining my own hardware concepts, trying to build shitty button pad grids and encoder arrays attached to arduinos, teensies, etc… forever. But now there’s no need! One of my key interests is making music (and eventually AV) in a more ‘in the moment’ live improv way
This is such a huge leap on the music side from someone who clearly has an interest in melding the mediums. Good stuff!
Hello!
Is it possible with Schwung to edit the velocity curve and gain ?
To go to Schwung modules, yes, for Move synths, no, as that’s all internal.
Just popping into the thread to express my gratitude for all involved in making this extension of the move, possible! I and my cat are quite blown away with what’s happening with this. I am hoping Ableton never blocks this cool capability!
Probably my 2 most unexpected surprises were modules with support for Access Virus emulation and M8 control. For Access Virus A, B, and C emulation support exposes a lot of the controls and most importantly, ability to store all the banks you ever had, right on the Move. I never imagined i could take my Virus “on the go” without the need for a PC (osirus). Yes, I get it’s 30+ knobs, but I only realistically need access to like a half dozen, which could all be mapped to encoders. But I gain: controller, sequencer, additional FX, resampling, and everything else Move has to offer, all in a small form factor. I haven’t played with the M8 integration yet, but just seeing how well it works in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIy9-eqslkI, I’m pretty psyched.
![]()


