Ableton Live MIDI Controllers

Hey all, I currently upgraded to Suite and was hoping to get some opinions to help me make up my mind.

I’m interested in a handful of MIDI controllers to use as a hardware-esque approach to Ableton. Its easier for me to fall in to the music if I have knobs and things to wiggle!

So far my top contenders are:

• Livid Instrument’s Base II
• DJ Tech Tools MIDI Fighter 3D & MIDI Fighter Twister
• NI Maschine MK2
• Akai APC40 MK2

I’m mainly looking for something to fingerdrum on or trigger clips with/have faders or knobs to attenuate the levels of the mix which is why I included the APC. I’m under a 400 (USD) budget so nothing intense is really on my plate, and I cant go too wild with the purchases haha. The Base II is top contender since it has 32 velocity sensitive pads with aftertouch and 9 faders and whatnot so there is a lot of complex routing available with that. But I’ve been eyeing the MIDI fighters for a couple years now and they’re awesome. I have a lot of experience with Maschine but I’ve never owned the larger models and all the knobs and the added bonus of using the Maschine software as a plugin within Suite is cool.

I’ve been overthinking the decision a bunch so I figured I’d ask everyones opinion! Do any of you have experience with these controllers? Are there any controllers that you stand by? Pls help :robot:

Ummm…Push 2?

4 Likes

“I’m under a 400 (USD) budget”

Maybe push 1 then
Will still have the best integration with Ableton

5 Likes

Launchpad pro plus a launchcontrol xl probably if you find them second hand. Launchpad is kinda built to work with ableton and its pretty great as a standalone device too. Add launchcontrol for faders. Small footprint for both, APCs are pretty bulky and maschine runs its own software entirely, its basically a different DAW. Midi fighters are expensive and a bit shit imo, 16 buttons for over 200, you could probably build one yourself significantly cheaper

5 Likes

I have an apc40 mk1. Pretty good unit, but the lack of user mode is a bit annoying. But they are hefty units, the mk2 a little bit less so, but still gigantic. You might consider a used push 1. They’re pretty cheap now, and work fine. You’ll probably miss the screen and the pads are supposedly better on the 2, but other than that pretty much the same.

Edit: And jb’s suggestion is a good one too. Launchcontrol XL is on my to buy-list as I find the APC takes up so much space.

This ^ was really impressed with the launch series!

I use maschine mk2 in ableton. the controller runs maschine software as a plug in then change it to midi mode and it controls ableton. There are ableton scripts available for it

I sold my push because though it’s integration is unbeatable I didn’t like it for finger drumming. Pads are too small. Great for sequencing by inputting notes and triggers, just not for drumming

1 Like

Also sold my launchpad for same reason

I agree with this. Used to have Maschine Micro which sadly died. Best pads I’ve ever used

I own the Push 2 and had the Push 1. Also owned the APC and the approach is different. It depends if you want to work with the monitor/display. With the Push devices you can do a lot of things without looking at the monitor, the APC and others without a display are also really good but you will need the monitor. And although I use the Push 2 and will not sell it I found that I am not the person controlling everything with the Push and I dont like the approach of the SOLO/MUTE and Record function so I got a Icon Platform M which really supports how I work, but lacks a lot of other things. There is also a MKII mini, maybe that would be a good start. I wished there was a Push with faders, mixture of the Push and APC.

2 Likes

I’ve really enjoyed finger drumming on LPP in a few ways, it’s cool to have four kits availiable at a time to find a nice groove, or big sample libraries of acoustic kits with tons of pieces like superior drummer or kontakt libraries. All the extra pads really make it feel like a proper drumkit. Another way I had it set up in ableton was with a drum rack with selector switches like so

Gave a similar drum workflow to working with OT and sample chains of drums. Overall I’ve been very pleased with LPP for drums, variable velocity is great and the pads feel solid. The size may not be for everyone but I’ve loved working with a real 64 pad controller with velocity after being used to a virtual 64 pads on the ipad. I do a similar thing to you except I change LPP to midi mode to control maschine and then switch to ableton mode to control live

1 Like

64 pads definitely have big advantage and more sonic options. I think I like the 16 on maschine as it’s closer to traditional mpcs etc and just feels right for hip hop and breaks.

Both have strengths and weaknesses, guess it’s picking what meets your needs.

1 Like

The quneo is another interesting option

Really get a used Push 1. It has by far the best integration and offers much more compared to the other controllers. Clip launcher, sequencer, drum pads, etc. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Under 400: I would look into BSP + launchpad mini.

Im wondering if you would kindly tell me more about the platform m+? I went to my shop, and i was actually adviced against buying it because of quality issues…but what is your experience? I want to use its custom mode to work with automating kontakt libs, and then use it to mix when tracks are ready.

Oops, i didnt see the date on your old post… still here?

I did not have any issues with it regarding quality issues. Works fine. I use it with the platform D display and with Ableton. When you switch the banks the faders move and it is louder than I expected but I cannot compare this to other motorized faders cause I only have this unit. I do have to say though, that I am constantly thinking about replacing it with the Behringer X-Touch since the price got lowered to under 400. Main reason is the Behringer has VU meters and a time display and what I have read/seen on youtube so far more functions to control with the buttons. E.g. you can only control panning with the Platform M while on the X-Touch you can also control the Sends, which is a big plus for me. I am only hesitating because I am to lazy to sell it on eBay and also because I will probably not get much for it. And it is bigger…

Hope that helps.

Thank you very much for answering…ive got the behringer prejudice syndrome…but maybe its time to let that go - ill research it! Cheers!