Ableton Live Autochannel settings

Appreciate it but that is how it is setup already (I changed that setting from the default).

If you post pictures of Ableton set up, I can help you. I already use my Digitakt to sequence and play my Soft Synths.

1 Like

Strangely I got it to work by pressing on the synth button and turning knob 1 to channel 1. I guess I never picked a channel there. Sorry about this. Really struggling with setting this up!

1 Like

I’m also struggling to set this up, I couldn’t find an auto channel in logic so I switched to ableton. However, when I change it out of overbridge it order to record notes onto the digitone from a midi keyboard (via ableton), I get no sound at all. I can see a meter lighting up though. I’ve configured midi to go in and out of the digitone in the main ableton settings. Any help would be massively appreciated, I’m thinking of ditching my daw completely and getting a key step, although I’m very attached to my komplete kontrol keyboard due to its nice key action and encoder for browsing plugins.

What do you want to do exactly? What is your setup?

I’m basically trying to use a midi keyboard to live record onto my DN through ableton. I’d also like to be able to set up the auto channel to be able to automatically have the midi keyboard play which ever track is selected on the DN.

Your Keyboard has only a USB Port? No 5-Pin MIDI Port?

Unfortunately yes

I’ll do some tests tonight and come back to you.

Thanks!

Just to be sure, are you using Digitone via Overbridge in Ableton Live? Can you select a MIDI Channel on your Keyboard? If so, I got the answer.

I’ve been using overbridge but I read it needs to be set up as an external instrument track and as midi rather than overbridge in order to record onto the DN. Unfortunately I cannot select any midi channels from the keyboard which is why I’m considering changing it for a Keystep. Thanks.

I found two ways of doing this. One with External Instrument, the other with a regular MIDI track and it doesn’t involve setting a MIDI Channel on your Keyboard. Look at the Screenshot :

On Digitone : MIDI CONFIG > PORT CONFIG > RECEIVE NOTES Enabled
In my case, the Digitone Auto Channel is 10. You set this in :

MIDI CONFIG > CHANNELS > AUTO CHANNEL

This way, your Keyboard should play whatever Digitone Track you select on the Digitone and you can Record Notes in the Digitone’s Sequencer.

By the way, my Keyboard is a Launchkey Mini MK3. So if you look at the last two Tracks on the Screenshot, you will have to replace MIDI FROM with your own Keyboard.

5 Likes

Thanks so much Tchu, I’m going to try this later. Really appreciate your help!

OMG you are an absolute legend, it works with the external instrument settings. Thank you so much! The other settings you have for the independent midi channels, is that using overbridge? That’s my next saga to figure out…

2 Likes

Hi Tchu, do you have any idea on how to set this up in Logic pro? I’m much more used to it than ableton. I’ve tried to set it up using the same configuration that worked with Ableton, using an external instrument configured to midi channel 10 for auto channel. I’ve made sure the DN is on USB midi, not overbridge. I can see audio going into the track (lights up green) but can’t hear anything. (the external instrument shows up as a drum track for some reason, not sure if that is affecting it). Any help appreciated

I’m sorry, I’ve never worked with Logic.

1 Like

Ok thanks for the reply anyway.

Thanks @Tchu
It looks like you are running Overbridge while also using the Digitone as a separate Midi Device from within Ableton. This setup looks like exactly what I want to do!

Unfortunately, my Mac running High Sierra does not recognize the Digitone as a Midi Device while I am in Overbridge mode (nor does Ableton Live 10).

Does anyone know if there is any special setting required to have a Mac recognize the Digitone as both an Overbridge device and a Midi device? Or is this something that is currently only possible on Windows? I am using Overbridge 2.0.35.4_Beta and Digitone OS 1.21. Thanks!

2 Likes

Im having the same issue and it’s driving me crazy , Ive seen lots of very useful tips on how to set up the Digitone to send midi to all 4 tracks separately with overbridge but they all need a auto channel. what ever I do I cannot get Ableton to recognise the digitone in the midi config whilst over bridge is activated , have you had any luck so far and maybe a few tips on this ?