Ableton Live 11

It is with all versions of Live 11.3 (in beta release now, not GA yet) and up. It is MPE capable as well, which is a Live 11-only thing.

1 Like

Totally. Focus on machines with wide sweet spots imo

I think it is nice to have both. Like System-8 and Hydrasynth complement eachother perfectly :slight_smile: S8 is massive sweetspot. Hydrasynth is endless possibilities.

Finally got my Centercode account and got everything set up. Drift is just as nice in person as it looked in the video ā€“ the UI really is a delight and thereā€™s something that feels very hardware-like about it, paradoxically more so than some plugins that emulate real hardware. I think itā€™s a combination of how economically designed the UI is and the fact that this is its native element.

One early observation: while Drift sounds great on its own, it also layers fantastically in an instrument rack.

2 Likes

I am having so much fun playing the Drift presets from my LinnStrument :blush:

Iā€™ve been looking for some reason to get back into sequencing on a ā€œreal computerā€ and this might be itā€¦

(finding it funny the other posts that show up when I search for ā€œableton driftā€ btw)

1 Like

Marketing Team: ā€œThese drift issues are giving us a bad rep, how can we address this?ā€

Engineers: ā€œLetā€™s make a new instrument and call it ā€˜Driftā€™, so when people search for ā€˜Ableton Driftā€™ the results say ā€˜Ableton Drift is awesome!ā€™ā€

12 Likes

I dont think you did. I am on the latest stable release of Live11 and I get the orange bar no matter what, when i switch out my interface or laptop headphones. The fact that they fixed this is good news.

1 Like

Iā€™m getting the same behaviour with windows 11. I have a sneaking suspicion that this is something that has worked seamlessly for a while with mac, but canā€™t guarantee it.

Im on Mac and unfortunately thats not the case for me.

Beardyā€™s Ableton/iPad setup

4 Likes

I remember a gig many years ago with beardyman and he was showing us the early version of his ipad setup and my mind was blown.

2 Likes

Thanks for posting! Clearly some mad scientist stuff, but I have just coincidentally discovered TouchOSC (which he mentions as a driver of at least one of these iPads next to Lemur), and this was full of inspiration for much more modest setup ideas, tooā€¦

Looks fun especially with the Push 2 controller. Iā€™m dreaming that Ableton build a real hardware stand alone synthesizer on par with the MPC Live and Waldorf boxes with native Ableton Live ability to record into various formats.

1 Like

Which ones are these?

how the hell he manages to be precise with touch screens while moving so fast, phenomenal
imo the guy deserves appreciation thread, what a monster of a performer he isā€¦

2 Likes

Which specific m4l sequencers do you like in comparison to the Cirklon and why? Iā€™m intrigued!

asd just uploaded another quite inspiring Ableton sound design tutorial. This episode feels pretty straight forward compared to the older, almost fear inducing videos but itā€™s still amazingly elegant and well made.

In case anyone gets out off by the thumb design: donā€™t be fooled! This is grade A stuff. :wink:

17 Likes

asd is wonderful, wild presentation and thought-provoking, cheers for the reminder/heads-up!

1 Like

I will always take an Evangelion reference over YouTube face.

8 Likes

There are so many - what do you want in a sequencer? Here are some I use and itā€™s just a small % of what is out there.

HY-32 is crazy good. It can cover a ton of Cirklon functionality right there for you.

AlexKiddā€™s are perfect for House music. And that makes a difference for drums since you can easily dial up genre specific rhythms if you want.

Euclid Pro is Euclidian sequencing on steroids. God tier for techno.

The greatest chorder of all time is ChordiMist. I have made very musical arpggios and crazy progressions that I could never make on anything else that I own.

There is MetropSeq which is a Metropolis sequencer module ITB.

AICD for generating TD303 lines.

Snake Sequencer is a classic for mono lines. So good and free.

MonoSequencer is also awesome.

Between all of those plus using probability inside the ableton piano roll as well, I can easily accomplish more than on a Cirklon.

18 Likes