Ableton Live 11

This has already been available for a while, not sure how long but it is not new.

1 Like

Pretty sure Push 2 already offers partial MPE functionality by responding to polyphonic pressure/aftertouch. What more do you want in the way of MPE? Something like Roli-style polyphonic pitch bending? Would love to see that if they can figure out a good system. I guess the LinnStrument can do something like this but I‘m not familiar with how its approach works.

1 Like

i presume its also different depending if you are on mac or windows… some of which might be due to how the OS deals with devices.

recent mac update had an annoying thing that they changed how it dealt with headphones being plugged in
new beta synth seemed ok, presets seemed fine…

if anyone signed up to digitakt beta with loopcloud i got an email for bitwig cheap version for free (8 track version)… i still miss the piano / drum roll from cubase in the early 90’s…ableton seems quite dated at times.(or i still need to learn it).

yeah cool, guess I missed that memo

You can also create a new audio track setting it to resampling.
It will record all the active tracks.
Then select the recorded track, do not release the left mouse button, press tab, release on the arrangement view.
Then you can export.

1 Like

Installed the beta and it’s there for me. On Windows:

Drift

1 Like

Really? How do you enable this? It drives me nuts.

Drift Rules!

5 Likes

Nice session. I like it very much.

I am a big fan of less is more when it comes to sound design (and repeat this way too much). I don’t need plugins that soak me in overdone UI. A lot of my Syntakt DVCO sounds translate very easily to Drift.

2 Likes

this is the first time I ever wanted to sign up for beta, usually I’m fully comfortable to wait for the stable release but would love to try the Drift…

Drift reminds me of the Fors M4L instruments. its easy UI with a lot of sonic potential is so good for getting great sounds fast. its just fun to use!!

1 Like

Indeed. It seems this is being rediscovered in the industry. I’ve always felt like somewhere along the way things turned into a battle of who could add more flash or parameters to something.

I have nothing against UI that provides useful graphical feedback; for things like EQ this is extremely helpful. But the primary purpose shouldn’t be ‘pretty rainbow shape generator’, it should be sound generator first and foremost, with UI not getting into the territory of distraction :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

The beta installs as a separate app (in Mac at least) so I don’t believe there’s any way it can upset your main install, all their files are separate. Obviously if this is critical you might want to check this or use a different computer but I’ve always had both release and beta installed and changed between them without issue.

1 Like

Looks and sounds pretty interesting:

4 Likes

Sometimes when I hear a new products demo sounds, they’re so unlike what they get built up to that I like to mentally replace the audio with rubber duckies quaking and whoopee cushions busting.
Not saying this isn’t a really cool synth, but rather a mental disorder I think I’ve recently developed hanging out here.

4 Likes

Apologies if this is a dumb/obvious question, but do we think Drift will be available for Live 10 users when it’s officially released? I can’t tell if this is a Live 11 exclusive — it kind of seems like it, but I figured I’d ask just in case since I’m still on 10.

2 Likes

No dumb questions here, and that one is anything but. I’m assuming as this is an update for 11, it’s going to be an 11 thing only BUT, I’m just talking out my ass. A quick search did not reveal anything.

3 Likes

You’re probably right, they might make it available to buy like they seem to do with Wavetable.

I should probably just update to 11 anyway.

1 Like

I just had to leave it a little while and it appeared :slight_smile: Must have to refresh the library.

Cool little synth. Pretty basic (e.g. limited selection of mod destinations) but sounds great and some nice modular inspired features such as the cycling envelope

The Drift synth is rad! It’s simple but that makes it easier to experiment and see what’s happening. I already got a Kraftwerk Radioactivity vocal synth thing going on by accident.

Could do with more mod destinations, but whatever. It’s really fun.

Edit: Drift reminds me a lot of the Moog Grandmother. Two oscillators plus noise, some interesting mod routings, and that analog sound. It’s also super immediate, just like the Moog Grandmother.

2 Likes