Ableton co-founder Robert Henke thinks we should bring back CDs

Bring back Bakelite records. At least they can be broken up into small pieces easily.

1 Like

CDs are back! :smirk:

Hopefully viable, sustainable alternatives to traditional vinyl will become more widespread but distribution is going to be a tough nut to crack.

I quit buying vinyl after watching Benn Jordan’s video:

5 Likes

Less than 30 seconds in until the first lie. “Until you decide to get rid of it but you can’t bcs nobody will recycle it” :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Good luck finding a recycling plant willing to accept vinyl records.

1 Like

You mean a second-hand record shop?

6 Likes

I would consider a second hand record shop to be a totally valid reuse scenario but not end of life recycling for the inevitable growing number of damaged, unplayable records.

2 Likes

That is a whole another discussion. It sounds like a good business plan for someone to start recycling those. The word for word quote I wrote is a flat out lie and really shows the level of intellectual honesty at play here. This dude wants more views and makes these kind of provocative videos. He stated that it’s not possible to get rid of vinyl even if you wanted to FFS. :joy:

Guys come one. This is getting a bit ridiculous. Whst happens to all the future dead batteries you all desire in your portable couch relaxing gimmicks and gear? :woman_facepalming:

2 Likes
1 Like

This is why for my next release my primary format will be art prints with download codes. I buy physical for the art 9/10 times anyway and rarely actually listen to physical media these days.

4 Likes

End of life recycling of a record ? When is that ? Because I still enjoy some 78 rpms records that are literally a hundred years old.

What I know is that the cloud consumes a lot of energy and hard drives / usb keys / smart media cards don’t last.

4 Likes

Vinyl, CDs, all music pollution is spit in the ocean compared to the production of Portland cement. We can “solve” the music pollution and have zero impact on global warming. Why are so many people functionally innumerate? If you want to improve the environment do something that matters!

9 Likes

Like stop buying garbage from China. All of us with Arturia, Roland, Korg, B, etc… raise our hands.

I’m sorry to spoil the party, but there are way more fundamental issues than pressing 150 copies of an album

5 Likes

I was so ready to purchase a nice Pro-ject turntable when I stumbled on to this video. No turntable in my home anymore :expressionless:

This is the crux of things for me. I try to be environmentally conscious in my personal life, but ultimately I know that over my lifetime, my efforts will do nothing to offset even a fraction of any given faceless megacorporation’s practices. Nothing will change as long as companies are allowed to trash the earth, and also as long as we as consumers (in general, not necessarily you and I specifically although yeah, us too) continue to demand quick, convenient, cheap options over and above sustainable ones.

I’ll stop with this train of thought here because it’s well beyond the scope of this thread and forum. Loads of good stuff to consider in this thread though, loving this discussion.

2 Likes

I dumped vinyl as soon as CDs became ubiquitous, due to their unavoidable degradation from scratching with use, warping with time and humidity and heat change (I live where there are truly four seasons)–sold them to a consignment vinyl shop for re-use and made a tidy bundle for their sale. I dumped CDs shortly after streaming rose to the level of CD audio quality. Lossless streaming at higher sample and bit rates than CDs (and arguably vinyl) could ever provide is a godsend and I cannot imagine ever going back. CDs and vinyl are both environmentally unacceptable and unnecessary and they are also completely substandard for sound quality in comparison to readily available technology on my “phone,” car, studio, and home audio systems.

With this way of thinking, all of you should stop buying GAS gear and start using software only. I’m not a big fan of hypocrisy.

6 Likes

All physical formats are prone to wear and tear, eventually becoming unplayable. How many of those original shellac 78s do you suppose survived as long as 100 years?

I’m fairly anal about caring for my archive of vinyl, cassettes and CDs and hope to get many more years of enjoyment from them but I’ve chosen not to continue purchasing physical formats due to their environmental impact.

2 Likes

Very good. But please consider these type of things before feeling guilty after buying a CD with your favorite tunes:

1 Like