Ableton as master clock using Overbridge --> Resync

Hi there,

I am trying to optimize my “hybrid setup” (DT/ST/DN/A4/MM2 + Ableton Suite 11) and I finally found that having Ableton as a master clock helps me to get a better latency.

Long story short, I want to be able to work “DAWLess” so I keep the DT as a Master Clock when I have no computer involved. (DT OUT -> ST (then midi tru from ST -> DN -> A4)

The DT is still set to send clock and transport).

When I am in “hybrid mode”, the DT keeps sending midi clock to the ST (and the whole chain keeps working) but the master clock is Ableton - through Overbridge (set in clock/transport mode). All my other Elektron boxes are connected to Ableton using Overbridge but in “no sync mode” as they keep receiving the clock from the MIDI chain.

My issue : Ableton is playing (the Elektron machines too) then I need to open an other project on the DT. The DT stops but I can’t start it back manually (some beatmatch or whatever) as it’s receiving midi signal from Ableton.

I would like to be able to send a new start message from Ableton (or Overbridge) to the DT to avoid a stop/start. (I don’t want to stop Ableton as I got some “backup clips” that needs to keep playing to have a smooth transition).

Is there any way to do that ?

Cheers!

1 Like

Tried using the midi Channel 16 with Overbridge but it won’t start any pattern if it’s not already playing.

a small “bump” … anyone with an advice?

Trying a last time to bring the topic back to life :smiley:

Any tip wouldbe welcome :slight_smile:

tchu gave a better method so I’m just removing this data as to not confuse the solution.

2 Likes

For me, the best Hybrid setup with no latency is to use OB with the No Sync option and have all your Machines plugged with 5-pin MIDI cables. The non-OB-Elektron gear should be connected in the Inputs of your OB Machines. Set Ableton to the same BPM as your Master, hit record in Ableton and start your Master device. After recording, select all your Tracks and move them to the start of the grid.

1 Like

can he do that and take Digitakt out of the loop to load new projects? I think he’ll still need a clock sampling device to resync.

1 Like

Yes, DT is the Master clock. You can Stop and Start as you want and everything is still perfectly Sync.

2 Likes

Sorry, I didn’t see your Topic before today.

1 Like

Thank for helping me (and don’t worry if u didn’t see the topic before :smiley:)

I used to work with this setup (OB with no sync on all machines; non-Elektron gear connected in the inputs on my Elektron machines) but I noticed it was more efficient with Ableton as a master clock (regarding the latency). No problem to use it again as I can live with a small latency.

But I am not sure to understand what you mean with your solution.

Is Ableton Synced to anything ?

FYI, I use Ableton as a Mixer/FX-Box but I also want to use it to play (synced) loops and allow me to make transitions while the Elektron boxes aren’t running (ie : loading another project). So it needs to synced.

If I stop my DT (master clock of all my hardware devices), all my Elektron devices will stop too. But If I start them back (while Ableton is still recording), they will be synced together but Ableton won’t, isn’t it ? I need Ableton to keep playing while I can stop/start my Elektron devices and keep them synced with Ableton. That’s why I was looking for a way to send a new start message from Ableton while it’s already started.

This is for live performances purposes as it already works correctly for me when I am working on a single track.

thanks ! would love to read what you had in mind anyway :slight_smile:

edit : saw it in my mail notifications :slight_smile: looks like a good way too but I would like (as much as possible) to avoid new hardware in the equation. (but I begin to believe it’s not possible)

1 Like

Ok, now I understand your needs. Forget my solution then. I’m using Ableton Live as a recording and FXs unit only.

yeah, honestly I think the method I erased would work for your use but it would cost possibly hundreds of dollars so if the other proposed method had worked I just didn’t want to leave an open ended “here’s an expensive way to fix the problem.”

but yes, for what it’s worth if you’re willing to invest in several other pieces of equipment for clock resample, split and merge, I believe you can achieve this goal. from my experience of buying similar parts on the used market for a different purpose, the expectation would be to spend at least a couple hundred. it’s highly dependent on how badly you need or want to accomplish this task. good luck in either scenario.