Ableton and Octatrack Sync

Is the MIO midi connect sync very good OT ?

Hey,

The MIO midi connect cable is what people have been recommending and the reviews are pretty decent too.

@JuanSOLO are these the settings you have?

PS I am trying to use the sequencer, not the midi sequencer!

The MIO is just a cable/adapter thing,
sync being ā€œgoodā€ is more about the OT or Ableton in this case/

Sometimes.
It depends on if I want Live or the OT to be Master, thereā€™s benefits/faults for both

I have no idea what youā€™re trying to say here.
Hooking up midi gear can be confusing, but itā€™s also fairly simple,
verbiage and thoughtful explanations are very important.
Seems youā€™re in the right direction, if somethings not working, you probably are overlooking something.

I want live to be the Master and the OT to be the slave. Have you found a solution into getting this to work?

So on the OT, there is a midi sequencer if you press the midi mode, however, if you are not in midi mode, you are just in a mode where you can sequence audio one shots/loops on the 16 buttons, right? This is the mode that I am in and is what I am trying to slave to Ableton.

I am going to share a screenshot of my midi set-up in the OT.

How are you setting it up in Ableton? Do I literally just click play or would I for some reason need to set up the OT as an external instrument? Even so, I am not sending midi, just want to slave and record the audio from the OT.

Please help!

Thanks

When slaving the OT, youā€™re slaving the entire thing, the Audio/Midi modes are not separate.
All youā€™re trying to do is tell the OT to follow Lives clock and transport, and that nothing is blocking that.

With Live as Master troubleshooting things to check:

OT Prefs
Turn off all the things in this menu
No auto channel, and turn off all the channels for any of the tracks
Midi%20Channel%20Setup

Set OT to recieve Transport and Clock here
Midi%20Sync

Audio CC and Audio Note, uncheck those and set to INT only
Audio%20CC

Make sure the Midi OUT cable from Live, is going to the Midi IN of the OT

In Live, this is correct
Live%20Midi%20Prefs

With all of those things sorted, the OT should be slaved to Live so when you start and stop Live, the OT will follow.
Expect the OT to drag for the first couple bars.

4 Likes

How i overlooking something.Because i only use my OT and AR.I try all scenario and OT never sync well with Ableton!

sorry Iā€™m being very late to answerā€¦ I use either a motu ultra lite mK2 my Roland UM550 when using the desktop computer.

I was having issues with OT not responding to midi clock and tranport sent from ableton. Which is weird as it only started to do that when I got a new computor with windows 10.
Ableton would send midi perfectly to my other synths and drum machines but the OT would not have even 32 bars of it. By accident I left it running while answering a phonecallā€¦ When I came back it was all in sync. Maybe OT needed a bit of time to get to know the new computer? The rest of the session was fine and everything worked as it should.
Machines are weird sometimes.

So, if I wanted my Digitone or Monostation to start/stop/sync new Octatrackā€¦would this be same settings?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for this, very clear and helpful.

Iā€™m slaving my OT to Live and have a faderfox sending various ccā€™s, so need OT to receive this. Getting lag when changing tempo (as you said) is there anyway to decrease this at all, latency delay doesnā€™t seem to help much?

Cheers

I feel the painā€¦ I struggled with Ableton live and midi sync for a long long time. Many times throwing the computer out of my setup and then trying again.
My troubles went away by investing in the ERM Multiclock. I didnā€™t like the idea of spending more than 500 euros on a device only for syncing midi, but it is one of the best 500 spend in my setupā€¦ I always have sync that is as tight as possible. When I record the clicktrack of the OT in Ableton live it is spot in the beat markers. Alwaysā€¦

3 Likes

Iā€™ve seen countless discussions able midi sync issues. itā€™s all how you set it up with delay compensation and how you route and monitor the audio, and understanding the settings.
Iā€™ve got a ton of gear hooked up it syncs perfectly no external clock.

Until you add latency-inducing plugins to your Live set. An external clock takes care of that issue.

Ableton has an automatic delay compensation, I use a ton of plugins too no problem.
Everything still in sync

1 Like

Sure, but outgoing Ableton midi clock is not delay-compensated, so incoming audio from a device clocked by Ableton will become offset relative to other audio from Ableton. Iā€™m guessing you monitor your inputs directly at the interface, or through a mixer - it may not be a problem in that case. But, if monitoring through Ableton (like I do) youā€™ll always end up with latency problems without an external clock, in spite of Abletons delay compensation.

You are right the outgoing midi isnā€™t compensated but I just add whatā€™s needed on the channel delay for the outgoing midi track and itā€™s set I donā€™t have to adjust it again.
If I want super responsive midi controller I momentarily switch of delay compensation,
and switch it back on when Iā€™ve played in whatever.

If you monitor from directly in ableton you get that speed up effect for the audio to catch up
In the first bit, but itā€™s actually synced itā€™s just what you are hearing,
then people start messing with midi clock delay etc and other things and put everything out.

so yes you monitor it before it goes into ableton or you get audio latency,
itā€™s nothing to do with midi

It all works fine for me without having to buy overly expensive midi clock

1 Like

When it come to tracking the OT into Cubase, what I do is set the OT tempo the same as in Cubase and have Cubase send transport only, not clock. For me at least, this works much better than slaving the OT clock to Cubase.

hi @DanJamesAUS, yours is one of the only posts where Iā€™ve seen discussion getting within the ballpark of my problem. Wondering if you (or anyone else) might be able to diagnose what is going on in my situation:

I have been experimenting with how to integrate my hardware with Ableton lately. The method Iā€™m following is arranging everything by recording MIDI loops which trigger the outboard devices on playback. When I listen back to my latest Arrangement, everything is perfectly together and it sounds great. I put a lot more time into refining things to make the track sound better, so I do have quite a few FX on the different channels.

Hereā€™s the setup: one VST melody, two synths melodies triggered by MIDI loops and then input through my audio interface, and one drum synth triggered by MIDI loops and then run out through a delay pedal into my audio interface.

Everything sounds great as a MIDI structure, and now I want to capture each track as audio. I arm 5 Audio tracks and record the Arrangement, mainly tweaking the drum settings as the best-ever version of my song sings through the speakersā€¦

But then on playback, the different Audio tracks fall out of sync. Iā€™m browsing around posts on latency and delay compensation, but Iā€™m not finding discussion of this particular problem very readily.

Any ideas my friends? Struggling to get a basic easy recording setup going. Thanks!

Does any one use the external instrument rack in Abelton? I get it down to 2 ms offset, but i would prefer 0 to avoid phasing issues, is that unrealustic? Track delay does nothing for me.

Its also behaving strange when Faderfox EC4 sends data (jumps etc) Computer is mac mini.