AB lights blink when paused

All MKII devices. AR into OT AB and A4 into OT CD. Both via THRU machines. All volume levels match.

When paused, the AB lights constantly blink (CD lights do not). The Main Volume knob on the AR is set to 3 o’clock (15:00). The lights go out when I drop the Main Volume to 11 o’clock (11:00). I don’t hear anything from the AR when paused.

What gives?

Try pressing these keys: [CUE] + [AUDIO RECORD AB/CD]
I think I had the same on Octa MKI, it allows you to monitor the selected input, and makes the led blink.

4 Likes

Is your blinking steady on/off, or more variable? If variable, the first thing to do is load up an init kit on the AR. Do you still see the flashing? If it goes away, you know it’s specific to a kit or sound settings on the AR.

I’ve seen this plenty with the AR. The AR can have a lot of subsonic stuff going on that you can’t hear, but might see on the meters if envelopes and decay values aren’t kept in check. The trick is finding which voice is causing the problem. Experiment with turning all lfos off, setting all decays low, sustain off, all filters hi-passing. Still see a problem? If that, or initializing the kit doesn’t suss it for you, I’m not sure what to tell you besides revisiting the OT input levels and noise gate.

I did not know this! Does that mean you can monitor the inputs on headphones only even when not recording? I can see that being v useful

Yeah I’m gonna try this. That would be ninja stuff right there

1 Like

Awesome. Please let me know if it works (no OT time for me atm). It’s always bugged me that you can’t test if something is working before a recording begins. Scares the shit out of me to think one day I’ll be ready to play live with guitar/bass, get to the big moment of recording and (if something isn’t set up quite right), the audience doesn’t hear anything!

Yeah, without a thru machine? I’ll check it tonight. NP

1 Like

I could use a Thru machine, true, but also might want to use a Flex for looping/mangling :slight_smile: Many thanks in advance :pray:

1 Like

Yep, just tried it. Cue-> Rec A/B or C/D is a cue for inputs. I had two thru channels, one for each stereo pair. Muted them, still can hear the input thru head phones. The rec inputs blink red back and forth.
Went to a new bank…strange. no thru’s just Static where I had my thru’s . Now even with static’s I get the same behavior. My thru’s were A/B on T1 and C/D on T5. Mute T5 with cue and I can hear the inputs. Put a recorder flex track on T5, can still cue on headphones.
Strange, but it works somehow.
Edit:
Stopped it, walked away…Now it’s not working. But, if I turn down the “dir” the cue works…So, yes, the cue works without thru, but you have to turn down the DIR to mute the input. :+1:

1 Like

A user error there. Forgot that when changing banks the tracks from the last bank play untill you trigger a new track. Anyways, very cool function I had no idea was there.

Hijack threads much?

Well, I am sorry if we did that. Are you still having the problem?

Yes. Tried relevant suggestion above. Loading empty/fresh kit didn’t solve. Will try something else tomorrow.

Sorry for the hijack. If you play the OT so that the Thru track is active, but then manually stop the AR and mute anything else, can you hear a low hum or something like that? It could be the AR’s distortion or compression pushing through some low-level noise? It’s the only reason I can think of for the blinking stopping when lowering the AR main volume. Alternatively, can you keep the AR volume at 15:00 and test if it’s pushing out hum/noise on its headphones or main outs separately.

Does it blink like cueing a track blinks (yes, we can cue audio inputs, it’s in the manual :yum: ), if it’s not due to cued audio in - have you tried using a spectrum analyser on AR’s output to check what’s going on?

Maybe try test mode on the AR to verify hardware is ok?

If the signal goes away when you lower the output volume of the source (AR) then you have 2 possibilities:

1: the source (AR) produces a signal that triggers the meters on the OT. That can be a signal so low or so high pitched you cannot really hear it but you might be able visualise it on a oscilloscope (try the free VST one from Melda productions, that’s the same one loopop uses in his youtube videos) or a sonograph.

2: There’s a gain staging issue, like a low output from the source with the input gain set high to compensate, meaning that noise will be amplified

You didn’t tell us about your gain staging settings BTW. “All volumes match” is not clear enough for a diagnosis

2 Likes

I’m not with my OT but is it possible to cue the Internal input? If so that could be an handy meter for the master. Sometimes I go in record setting just to check if the OT is clipping.

Or just sample the signal with the OT to see what’s coming in … :wink:

2 Likes

Hmmm, not so sure if the AED would show a signal over 16kHz as a wave form

1 Like

Thanks everyone. I’ve narrowed the issue to a kit. (or a track in the kit). Probably a bit too much LFO, etc. INIT and PRESETS kits don’t give me the slightly blinking lights.

I had also thought it might be due to the AR plugged into a different wall socket. Redoing the wiring this morning proved that not the case.

Take care. And consider this topic resolved.

Peace.

1 Like