A4 weird and unstable CV out!

Hello guys,
yesterday i tried for the cv capabilities of my A4. i’ve wanted to control the op1 through the a4 sequencer:
a4 (cv) -> oplab (cv=midi) -> op1

i’ve setup the CV A as pitch V/oct and CV B as gate, the i’ve followed this:

Select NOTE 1, it could for example be C3. Then highlight VOLTAGE 1 and press the [YES/SAVE] key. This will trigger a C3 note which is played for as long as you hold down the key. While keeping [YES/SAVE] pressed, adjust the voltage until the controlled synthesizer actually plays the note C3 using [ARROW] keys [LEFT]/ [RIGHT] or DATA ENTRY KNOB A. If you don’t have a tuning device, we recommend you play the correspond- ing note on one of the Analog Keys internal tracks and tune by ear.

Repeat the process for NOTE 2 and VOLTAGE 2… here there is my first problem: on my first click i get a note between C3 and C6, and the same happen passing from C6 to C3.

the same if i play on A4 keyboard. for example i play C, then G, i get for example a E, the i reclick the G button and i get the G.

do you know if i can do something to solve this??

thanks

E

Trying to make sure I follow… so you are setting it up at first, tuning Note 1 to C3 and Note 2 to C6, then when you’re out of calibration mode it’s behaving wonky?

By the way, are you hitting any notes on the OP1 itself when you’re doing this? Some synths treat CV as an offset from the key you last hit but I’m not sure about the OP1.

This sounds like it’s an issue with the OP-1.
I have an OP-1 but I don’t sync it via CV.
By the sounds of it, the OP-1 isn’t taking the standard 1V/oct. Maybe it’s in Hz/V? Try changing it and seeing if that works.

EDIT: nope, it doesn’t use hz/v

thank you for your answer. anyway is not a op1 one problem, i’ve tested it also in ableton.
just in calibration mode this is what happen:

• first click on Note 1 - good (a4 play C3)
  • first click on Note 2 - get a wrong note (random between c3 and c6)
  • second click on Note 2 - good (a4 play C6)

it’s like a sort of glissando, between the two notes…

Did you ever resolve this? I am experiencing the same thing.

Hi @louvelle,
i’ve sent my A4 to elektron and they send me there are no problems. so i’ve just changed my setup.
sorry for my late and useless answer.

E

Having exactly the same issue…

Trying to use CV out to OPLab, then OPLab midi out to Evolver.

CV A: pitch V/oct
Note 1: c2 - 1.000v
Note 2: c5 - 4.000v

CV B: Gate, v-trig, 5.0v

TUN, FIN, BND and SLD to 0 as well
CV LFOs/ENVs routed to nothing

Tracking fine, but it will randomly play the incorrect pitch after a note change. If I play it again, it’s fine forever 'til the note changes again.

No difference between using the sequencer, sequencing from trk1-4, playing slowly…
Same result routing the note out to either Evolver and OP-1.

And please don’t tell me to not play any key on the Evolver which could move the tracking around: there ain’t any keys on it :stuck_out_tongue:

@louvelle, did you manage to get it working?
Anyone? :zonked:

why do you think it’s an AK issue ?

have you got a volt meter or analog synth with CV to compare

i.e. take OPLab and MIDI out of the equation and check the consistency of voltage direct from AK

1 Like

I don’t necessarily think it’s an AK issue, all this thread is obviously about the AK+OPLab combination, I don’t care which side of Sweden is the source of the problem, I just want to make it work :wink:

I’m a CV newbie, was hoping that someone might have solved this before, before I try getting my hand on other gear to figure it out. What you’re suggesting is my next step, obviously, thanks.

1 Like

Getting a good and stable pitch voltage out from the AK, so the problem is indeed on the oplab side.

2 Likes

CV to MIDI conversion is a pain in the butt.
It seems that OP lab isn’t very stable.
BS rack is a little quirky too.
The only solution that seems to work is the doepfer module A-192-2.

ALSO waiting for the kenton solution to be available:
http://www.kentonuk.com/products/items/m-cv/pcvmidi.shtml

1 Like

Amazing! I’ve always been wondering why Kenton isn’t providing such a module. I guess they’ve taken the time to engineer it properly, contrary to TE.

I’ll sell back the OPLab, I’ve tried everything (OS updates, every modes that could output midi, switches combination), cool gizmo for many things, but unfortunately not the specific trick I need.

kenton pro 2000 does