A4 vs Nord Drum

For interesting drum sounds, breaks, industrial and such which one would you get?
(sampler out of the question)

I recently got myself an A4, and I haven’t had the chance to dig into it a lot. At the same time i’m on the verge of getting a 3P. Now, I’m saying this because I may not be the ideal person to talk about their differences and which one of the two you should get. Nevertheless, my thinking was to use the 3P exclusively as a drum machine since it’s layout is designed exactly for this purpose, and the four exclusively for bases and Synths, after all, it only has four voices. I know you can use one channel for drum sounds and use triggers to combine all your drum channels in one, but still you are left with 3 channels for basses and synths, which may not be enough depending on the user.

Do you already have a sequencer?

The A4 is very capable, though the 3P is something else - the best drum sound engine there is in my opinion. An Elektron box with a 3P sound engine would be amazing.

2 Likes

One thing that’s radically different in my opinion is that there’s no sustain stage in the Nord Drum’s engine. So, a whole spectrum of sounds, and a way of sequencing that are impossible on the ND.
It’s maybe a bit personal, but this is my number one criteria when looking for a drum synth.

1 Like

Yes I do.

I lnow that A4 is just 4 parts, but I heard audio demos with very intetesting drums.

(in order to have sustain, one can set a very long decay and then program steps with zero velocity, this enables notes with different lengths.)

Edit: little example Nord Drum 3 & 3P - #514 by Jeanne

2 Likes

I will try this, thanks. But it’s not really the same is it ?
( I’m thinking, no release, clicks, etc. Also, for instance, Ableton doesn’t allow 0 velocity steps)

post examples of drums you like!