A4 to Behringer Model D to control with p-locks?

I’m looking for a bassy synth to complement my A4/Octatrack. I’m a huge Minimoog fan so the Behringer Model D looked perfect but I’ve read that you can’t control most things via MIDI ccs but it does have CV in.

Is anyone using A4 > Boog with CV and can you use the A4 sequencer to change parameters on the Boog for individual notes with p-locks?

one can at least do filter cutoff, gate and pitch via the a4 cv track…

Thanks. Do you know if they’re the only params you can control over CV?

Basically you can see that on your boog.
There are inputs which has the arrow down - that means input. Maybe you can modulate a bit via midi, but then you need another sequencer too. What does the manual say?

I’d say semimodular synths like the neutron have more options in this sense.

1 Like

It looks like there isn’t any MIDI control via CC, just sysex via the USB port. Thanks, I’ll check out their manual. I haven’t used CV before so wasn’t sure of if the A4 could output to whatever the Model D has inputs for.

The A4 is very good to configure in this aspect, my Neutron was no problem. I’d say you will not have problems in that aspect.

Cheers. I think I have an idea of what can be controlled now from the manuals and it’s good to know the A4’s capable, I just realised a lot of my confusion is coming from not really understanding what CV is so I’ll do a bit more reading!

1 Like

According to the Model D manual, it has:

• Gate inputs for triggering the filter envelope and loudness envelope;
  • CV inputs for oscillator pitch, LFO frequency, a general modulation source, filter cutoff, and loudness.

The Analog Four has four outputs, each of which can be set up to send CV or Gate signals.

2 Likes

Thanks, that should probably do the trick.

Apologies for the daft question but I’m having trouble finding this, is the note pitch/duration sent in the same way by the A4 when connected via CV? i.e. you program the notes on the CV track as you would on other tracks, and then use the CV parameter pages to change filter, lfo, modulation, etc?

Set up the AF’s CV Config pages in the Global Settings to send the types of signals you want from its four outputs (A to D). There is a ‘setup example’ in the AF’s manual that shows much of this.

For notes:

• Set up one of the AF’s outputs (for example, A) to send Gate signals to the Model D’s loudness envelope input and another of the outputs (for example, B) to send 1 V/Oct CV signals to the Model D’s oscillator pitch input;
  • In the CV track parameter pages for these outputs (A & B), choose any of the AF’s tracks (1, 2, 3, 4, FX, or CV) as the source (SRC) of the signals to be sent out from the two outputs.
  • The Note menu is the same no matter which track you’re using.

For control of another component (for example, filter cutoff):

• Set up another AF output (for example, C) to send Value Lin signals to the Model D’s filter cutoff input.

You can p-lock values and apply the CV tracks’ LFOs and envelopes to destinations on these CV parameter pages.

1 Like

If you are looking for a strong bass synth with a wide array of CC’able commands, would you consider the Minitaur? Not exactly a Minimoog clone, but pretty much everything is CC’able on it, fits will with the Elektron workflow, and is undeniably full of the Moog character. I sequence mine with the Digitone.

1 Like

Cheers. I think I’ve got my head around it now. Thanks for the info :slight_smile:

Also a great bass synth with midi cc is the vermona lancet. Sounds great - has an other character than moog, I’m consider getting one.

Ideally I’d like to avoid the faff of CV (Elektron stuff has enough complex components already!) Will check out the lancet and minitaur but I think I might be after that specific minimoog sound.

You should consider the Roland SE-02, which was inspired by the MiniMoog and has copious control of its parameters using MIDI CC messages.