A4 -> Overbridge -> Bitwig – No true Mono!?

Would like to try recording A4 via Overbridge in Bitwig (Mac Os). Using all latest versions.
Just trying to set this up. Instrument track, plugin, routing tracks to audio track. All fine, but….

Is there really no way to record simply in mono instead of dual mono?

Needless to say I searched the web for information on this. Apparently without success. :roll_eyes:

As far as I know all channels in Bitwig are stereo. Is your issue with file sizes? :thinking:

1 Like

No. It‘s not file sizes. :grin:

Just feels awkward and unnecessary. There’s mono input busses in Bitwig by the way. You just have to set them up. But this doesn’t apply to Overbridge.

Also… a mono track would behave differently when panning for example, right?

Just adding this diagram from Overbridge manual to the thread. It clearly indicates the track signals are taken before panning and hence being mono.

Maybe I’m misunderstanding something. But I’m really hoping someone can shed some more light on this. Is it Bitwig specific? Is it the same in other daws? Is dual mono no problem at all?

I tried finding on my Bitwig how to create a mono track (with just 1 meter) and really can’t find anything, can you create a mono track in there? If so, how?

I can’t imagine how dual mono could create a problem, it’s the same signal in both channels making it 100% centered; a mono track (if it exists somehow in Bitwig) would not have any way to do panning so a stereo track with duplicated signals at least enables you to have panning in Bitwig for a mono signal.

You need to go into the settings, then Audio, then under Input Busses, “Add Mono”:

If you add an audio track with that buss as its input it will be mono. But as @B_LD says that won’t apply to Overbridge. I don’t think you can do anything apart from dual mono with Overbridge, unfortunately.

1 Like

I tried a few times with 2 tool devices i think with DN.
(Probably doesn‘t make a difference for your case…)
But gave up because of effects routing and lazyness, just useing the main stereo with overbridge.
Should really try once with no effects on elektron and adding all effects in bitwig multitrack plus bitwig as i don‘t even have a audio interface.

There is also this rather complicated thing, additionally in the comments he talks about a mid side split device and mono the bass…

1 Like

Lovely, thanks for sharing. I already had kind of an idea to use a tool to change the width as a mitigation. Nice to see somebody did that already.

Doesn’t make a track true mono in the sense of single waveform, though.

1 Like