A4 Mk1 + Octa MK1 = price of just one MK2 new

Kinda crazy the price discrepancy in A4 and Octa MK1s on Reverb in excellent and even mint condition compared to new versions today. I’ve read a lot about comparisons and the differences don’t seem that big enough to justify such a price discrepancy. I watched the Cuckoo comparison of A4s, and noticed some slight differences in the bass sound and I know some people care about the individual outs.

Are people here still buying MK1s and getting on well with them? Anyone here feel really strongly that the MK2 price premium is justified, either A4 or Octatrack?

I think, if you never had an mk2 unit…or Digi devices, the mk1 units are a great deal.

But for some people it’s hard to go back to the way the mk1’s work and look.
The old display is slow, and so are the encoders. The LEDs don’t have many colors to differentiate the mode you are in.

That being said, if you haven’t experienced the new units, you don’t know the difference and might just experience the mk1 series for what they are…super capable bargains.

I personally am not a fan of the mk1 encoders and display, but bought a Rytm mk1 a few days ago, because the price was too good not to. Also the box looks better next to my OT (size-wise).
And right now, I am happy with that purchase!

3 Likes

The A4 / Rytm mk1 screens are different than the OT mk1, which is larger and doesn’t lag when updating like the other mk1’s.

The cross fader on the OT mk1 and mk2 use a different part, I’ve had both and kept the mk1, I can live without the extra buttons (as there are combos that do the same on mk1).

The mk2 I had was an earlier grey one, it’s quite likely the newer hardware revisions have all the niggles I had with it worked out by now, but my mk1 has been great.

1 Like

I learned the Octatrack on a mk2 device, so when I see a mk1 it looks like it’s missing buttons. But I learned the A4 on a mk1 and never felt like anything was missing. I now have an A4mk2 and it feels luxurious.

So I think @SonWu is on to something. If you experience the mk1 first, you’ll be just fine with it (and to OP’s original point, the mk1 machines are amazing value).

I find the A4 Mk2 bass to be worth the upgrade. Its more noticeable not on youtube IMO

1 Like

the feel of the mk2s are better and I dont think I could go to an mk1 even if I had to.
The price of them new is super wild but makes sense with inflation.
Just something shitty we all have to deal with going forward for everything unless we magically start heading towards mutual prosperity world wild.

You can mod the MK1 with 4 seperate outputs. The mod itself is quite easy but you need a specialized tool to drill holes in the chassis

1 Like

Gonna try doing this myself in January. It does look fairly straightforward.

and for others it’s the exact opposite. Had both, I prefer a4/rym mk1. They are slower but build quality is slightly better imho mk2s feel a bit cheaper to the touch, form factor is perfect and I prefer how they look. Had issues with two rytm mk2 and 1 a4 mk2, never had any issues with much older mk1s.

I’d only take an a4 mk2 for the individual outs.

3 Likes

My overly simplistic take on things:

The AR mk2 is significantly superior to the Mk1

The OT mk2 is “better” than the mk1 (those extra buttons = noticeable quality of life improvements in my experience)

The A4 mk1 is just such an incredible bargain and I much prefer the form factor vs the mk2

That’s all just my opinion of course. Plenty of folks out there that would feel the exact opposite in each of the above

1 Like