A4 Mk1 - ext input panning

I was routing 1 device in the left input of my A4 Mk1. The panning control (OSC1/FX track-first row) was set totally on the left. Then I added a second device in the right input. I tried to change the panning in the left and right channels and I wondered nothing change (I am monitoring through a meter the output of the master). Probably I never understood how to use the external input properly in my A4 because I didn’t use it that much, now I would like to understand what’s my fault. Can somebody clarify me please?
Thank you in advance

You should have complete freedom to pan both devices in each input. I just tested it on my Analog Keys. I am guessing that your meter isn’t changing because the overall output on the master is the same. Plug headphones into your A4 and I bet that you will hear the panning working.

I did’t catch it. I stoped the input 2 and just let the device routed to input 1 playing (all the other tracks are muted). If I pan the channel 1, I should listen the panning on the master but I don’t listen the panning and the meter shows the sound perfectly balanced. Am I missing something?

Not sure I understand your reply, but I wonder if you’re somehow making the output mono.

In input 1 a DFAM is routed, DFAM is mono but I supposed the signal was splitted in left and right. Does the pan work only if the input signal is stereo?

Pan works with mono inputs. I was asking about what you are feeding the left and right outputs of the A4 into. At any rate, have you used headphones from the A4? That will give you a stereo signal so you can check panning without a monitor or mixer getting in the way. Because that monitor or mixer could be turning your output from the A4 (maybe by summing them) into mono.

I am starting to think the cable I used for the input is a TRS instead of a TS, maybe this can be the reason. I will check on wednesday when back to my studio and I will return you. Meanwhile thanks a lot

TRS cables can be used for mono inputs, and in fact right now I’m using a TRS cable to connect my Microvolt (which is mono) to one of the external inputs of the AK. No problems with panning.

Maybe I found the reason and I will verify. The analog 4 output is routed to the syntakt input and the signal is transfered by TRS cable. In the syntakt manual they specify to input using mono phone plug

The cables used don’t matter at all. If you’re routing through your Syntakt and you want to preserve the stereo signal, make sure you select Stereo for your External In (Settings / Audio Routing). Otherwise both channels will be summed to mono and panned center.