A4 live record automation help

Is this possible from an external controller? Everything I’ve read seems to suggest yes - my global settings have the cc in switched on but I can’t seem to record anything except notes.

I’m trying to record a simple filter sweep in poly mode from an external keyboard with a joystick - the sweep is happening but not recording…

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers !

it’s not happening ! #bugsbunny

at least works on auto channel for now !

Bump - anyone?

it doesn’t work on specific channels, it does work on auto channel - i’ve reported it to Elektron !

at least one channel does it =)

Hmm - what am I doing wrong then? I have track 1 as my ‘record’ track, poly mode, voices 1,2,4 enabled (3 has a long pad that I don’t wanna ‘steal’ from).

I live record fine into track one from external board but no joystick movements are recorded (for filter sweep) although I hear the sweep.

In global, receive cc is on and live rec on track ch is on…

Something missing?

if your midi device is set to ch9 (default) when you select track 1 it will record notes and relevant cc data

if your midi device is set to ch1 (default) when you select track 1 it will record notes and will audition relevant cc data (but not record)

this seems like a bug, I’ve reported it as such !

we’ll see in the new year if it is and if it’ll get sorted :wink:

^^ ok cool that must be it as my external is on ch1 - I’ll try switching to 9 now :slight_smile:

notice that i’m not directing you to my first or second of three replies because we have some unfinished trading :wink: :wink: #itischristmasafterall

Still no joy with ch9 - I must be missing something fundamental - I can hear the changes but can’t record em…

Current setup is

Midi keys : ch9
A4 auto: ch9
A4 trck 1: ch1

I can send and hear pitch bends and filter sweeps from the midi joystick but can’t record them…

notice that i’m not directing you to my first or second of three replies because we have some unfinished trading :wink: :wink: #itischristmasafterall[/quote]
Dude those knobs are yours just say the words #sendmethefkingknobsalready

on my novation the modwheel can be a different channel to the keys - check that stuff out - or use a midi app on an ipad which can be customised to check it out

i should add i was testing via usb, it’s possible there may be an issue over DIN which is affecting you, i’ll check at my end with DIN

it should work, and it should i[/i] work as you originally expected, directly on the specific channel !!

Works fine on DIN too - :+1:

keep in mind it records changes, so if you just wack the filter open, it won’t record the steady state open value - only the movement of the fader when it’s changing at a given step !!

I’m using DIN

Do I need to have that new OS param checked or unchecked? Or is it irrelevant -

[Live rec on trk ch]

I have that checked.

If we forget about the filter to keep it simple - I’m not getting pitch changes even - so the pitch bender I can hear but can’t record.

I’m wondering if I’m missing something fundamental here - like really basic stuff.

So if i record some changes, say with the pitch bend two bars down 7 semitones, then two bars up - well the bender always returns to centre, so the A4 might be recording but then the changes are overwritten by the centred value even after record stops. So the cc from the bender is ‘always on’ and affecting the channel…

The other thing is I never see any trig lights on the rec track, shouldn’t I see the dim red lights come in as cc’s are recorded?

I’ll check to see if my joystick is output on a different channel from the keys - maybe it defaults to 1.

let’s keep things simple here - you cannot record pitchbend, modwheel, aftertouch - those are all performance controllers

these currently cannot be recorded, unlike on OT

if you have a separate cc knob/fader which can talk to any addressable param via cc then try that ! that’s what i assumed you were doing with the ref to filter earlier, but that may have been u using the modwheel !!

modwheel cannot be recorded !

but the specific ccs for the params being addressed via the modwheel can, individually, so you can control the sound in a similar way if needed

the live rec on track channel i think (A4 off right now, head in OT, nearly) allows you to record into a channel/track you haven’t selected, no harm on

hth

Ok I think I get it now - it’s a bit meh that you can’t record mw but hey ho :slight_smile:
So mod wheel is a fixed controller, currently not recordable but I could map say filter or pitch to other controllers that can be recorded? Other knobs or sliders - my board has a touchpad that is assignable - maybe I’ll try that… Cheers !