A4/Keys sounds like Moog Slim Phatty and Korg Minilogue XD

Yes, all synths are different. TB-303 or 909 are the only and specific. But you can be close to- using other devices.

Question is: how to create sounds like Moog Slim Phatty and Korg Minilogue XD (for bass, leads, pads) on A4/Keys? What are exact emounts of AM ADSR , filters, LFO, etc. for that?

Synths (at least of the subtractive variety) are actually not all that different from one another once you understand what AM, ADSR, filters, LFO, etc. actually do to sound. So digging into those things might be a good place to start.

There are also a bunch of threads here about this with many fantastic tips and tricks in them.

But if you’d like help recreating a specific patch, please post some examples of what you’re going for.

5 Likes

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U-_EIsKUpro As example, for example. Thank for your topic links!

Minilogue XD is my first and I don’t know what/if I will add anything to my setup in the next 3-5 years. Sure I am interested in unique things like Solar 42 (wow!) and definitely many more semi-modular synths. But not sure anything beyond Minilogue XD when it comes to a beginner level synth options (around the same price range). I can’t believe the possibilities that comes with it and it is such a simple instrument to use. Maybe I feel like this because it’s my first but we will see…

Ok- but what about make A4 sounds like korg xd ?))

I was going to post this in Minilogue XD thread :grinning:

Quick take: It sounds to me like a square with a bit of filter envelope on it. There’s also a bunch of saturation. Probably part of the FX chain in the OP, but I got pretty close A4-only by adding noise and cranking the filter gain. Also a touch of reverb.

NAUT SQR.afsnd (616 Bytes)

5 Likes

I found this to be impossible.
Specifically recreating sounds on the A4/AK to mimic the Slim Phatty.
I’ve found the RYTM or Syntatkt Dual VCO machine to get much closer, probably because it’s a VCO and I believe A4s are DCO.
So they sound a bit more controlled and subtle where as VCOs can sound like taming wild electronics.

Of course there are some sounds that both make. I’m not talking about those, I’m taking about that creamy moog saturated all sweet spot kind of thing.

It used to make me a little crazy until I realized the A4 has its own strengths and characteristics so if I was being nit picky I just needed to use the slim phatty.

2 Likes

I’ve got a Slim Phatty and a Voyager, and rarely use either because the A4 does it for me, and quicker. Might just be that I’m less discerning in my synths, but between feedback, overdrive, AM, FM, sync, unison, neighbor filters, and eight oscillators (not including subs) worth of plock-able params, there’s not a lot I haven’t been able to get close enough to that I’d notice it in a mix.

3 Likes

I’ve done without the phatty for a while but always bring it back because of how well it does it moog trick.
It’s also been fun to run a different sounding mono from the AK and back into the AK for effects.
Even sequence it from the CV track if needed.

1 Like

Thanks for idea with AR vco !

1 Like