A4 faceplate replacement?

AI art?

Previous Owner:

11 Likes

I use this :

Grind/sand until there’s nothing but bare metal, not a spec of paint or rust - then sand/grind a bit more - clean thoroughly with ethanol, then use an etch primer, then paint.

3 Likes

Place a butter knife or similar under each knob knob and gently lever up to detach. You don’t want to put side pressure onto the encoder mechanisms. The rest is a straight forward swap.

As for the old faceplate, it looks like one of the original smooth painted ones that had paint chipissues, I think Elektron used to swap those out for free.

Aw man they charged me $50

Do you think it’s expensive ? With shipping ? I’d be interested if it’s the same price in Europe…

Custom Malibu faceplates were sold $200 iirc.

@FleetingBreath would you confirm it’s $50 with shipping in USA ?

3 Likes

$50 for a faceplate like this is pretty reasonable tbh. I’m sure it’s more than any of us want to pay but having looked into custom faceplates for Eurorack it can be very expensive to get this stuff made.

I wonder if they still get some made up or if they’re just working off old stock still.

1 Like

Sorry old listing

Yes that’s what they charged me, but in the email I was told they are very low and only sell them if the current panel is “seriously impairing the use of the machine”

3 Likes

That’s useful to know thanks!

Hey everybody, just wanted to post a quick update. The faceplate arrived from Sweden in record time (4 days!)

Getting the original off with the incredibly rusted Allen screws was a serious PITA, and I got a really awesome blood-blister on a finger from my pliers…

Luckily it’s not horrible inside. There are a few LEDs with obvious rust damage that don’t work, but I can work around having a few non-functional LEDs… so I gave it a nice dusting/brushing…

Now the new faceplate is installed and looks great! Ready to dive into learning this thing without the distraction/concern of paint chipping off!!

Now how do I clean those encoders??? They have sweat/tobacco stains.

5 Likes

I once washed my previously owned mk1’s pots with soap (or detergent, I can’t remember) and a toothbrush.
Left them to dry and placed them back again, they looked decent except for some minor dents.

Edit: you need to pull them off the enclosure before washing, that is.

Dish soap? As long as it doesn’t degrade them, sounds good!