A4 deep bass tips?

If it hasn’t been said yet: try the peak filter set to taste with high resonance and key tracking around 13. Additionally using the overdrive, around 30 helps some too. I mostly use the square or pulse wave. Only one oscialltor.

3 Likes

not working at all for me : (

Interesting thread :+1:

Great thread!! Thank you all!!!

1 Like

I just meant you just used Ext In VOL in FX Track, as you did after (SE1 Thru Ext In), but it wasn’t ! At least this curve seems normal.

I’d try with :
F1 freq = 127, res = 25
F2 LP2 freq = 127, res = 0

I sold my SE1 ! :sob:

How about using neighbor oscs? This way you could use the first voice with filters to build your waveform just the way you’d like, and then use a second voice in neighbor osc mode to perform subtractive filtering. I know this is not ideal since you need two voices to pull this off, but if you have voices to spare, it might be worth trying?

1 Like

Hopefully A4 mk2 will have a filter bypass switch, to enable a clean ‘uncoloured’ signal when desired, for both the internal oscillators and when processing external audio through the unit.
The Heat has a bypass switch. This is what the A4 needs as well

Thank you Open Mike and Sezare58. Shame on me, I should have read precisely that point (somewhere about 25).
Here is a test with stting you mentioned (F1 freq = 127, res = 25 / F2 LP2 freq = 127, res = 0)

Picture 1 is the original
Picture 2 thru the filter with neutral settings
Picture 3 is Se1 in Ext in, in FX Track

Good idea. I like the sound. Here a picture of SE1 square thru Pk filter : Frq22, res 35

But it doesn’t look nor sound like a square wqve.
I also tried internal square, but I don’t really hear a square wave for the moment.

Maybe, but I hear something like compression (pump). Interesting, but not so frank.

With these settings maybe…

Good idea. I tried with a Init Sound, F2 = HP2, Freq2 = 53, Res2 = 64 (or +), and Filter2 Keytrack TRK=32, to follow the note. It works pretty well !

1 Like

Nice sound, but also weird:

Weird indeed.
PK with freq and res = 0 should be close to
LP2 with freq = 127 and res = 0.

Yes it’s what I wanted to do but… that’s what we should do after having a “normal” wave. Anyway those settings seems a little bit too wha wha for a “normal” and fat square sound.
There is something unnatural with that trick in A4. When resonance is high… there is a kind of resonance effect. You can listen to that when you play quickly 2 notes across let’s say 3 octaves. First play C6, and then C2, then once more C2. The first C2 has a sort of effect, an approximation… maybe the time for the filter to track the note and comeback to a low frequency. First C2 sounds weird, and then it’s ok.

Anyway it’s a nice way to get a solid bass sound. i prefer with lower Frq and res values.

I love that idea, and that’s a fantastic concept that make this instrument unique. But the same problem occurs every time one sound goes thru any filter. So, with first filter, one try to get a normal wave, and it is destroyed by second track filter… that time, it’s really impossible to figure what was original waveform.

And I was a little bit optimist when I thought one can rebuild original waveform with both filters because I always tried to mimic one only note. But when changing note, completely different settings are necessary (even with tracking set to 32… or without tracking for either of the 2 filter). Worst of all, when moving from one note to another one, we can hear what is the problem.
For example, in this picture, I tried to make best square wave.

Filter settings are: Flt1 Frq 127 res 25, Flt2 Frq 33 res
It looks different than original, but it’s possible to see a sort of analog square wave. Sonically, there is something weird. When changing note, the problem is evident : there is way too much quint under the fundamental (Harmonic 5 1/3). Certainly due to HiPass huge resonance. And the sound doesn’t stop quickly… it remains with that resonance. So those setting are really unusable.

1 Like

Hi,

have my A4 since yesterday, and I can confirm that the OSCs all have some “sawish” taste to them. Especially the triangle wave does not sound at all as I expected. I suspect that this is the real reason many people find the sound engine not to their taste - the basic waveforms are a bit off. Also, the whole sound is not clean at all - everything is a bit distorted

Coming from ultra clean VSTs, this is kind of a change of philosophy to me :wink:

K

You do know that the default osc level is 50 right? Anything above that will introduce extra grime…

1 Like

Yes, but still - even at low levels, those waveforms look weird. And I don’t mean the Saw, those look not like Saws on most true analogs, but the pulse and square and triangle.

K

Do you have a scope on the A4? I’ve always wondered how the pwm affects the waveforms, especially the ones that are not square/pulse…

To me the A4 sounds clean enough although I must admit I haven’t used my VST synths in years…