A4 bass vs AK bass

OI used to have both but sold my ak
Maybe there is a difference in sound, but i couldn’t hear it. There are 2 differences, i think. #1: the ak is easier to play, so creation of patterns can be more intuïtieve
#2: A4 is smaller , so easier to take with you and to have it on stage

There is a difference, that is true.
However, it’s not a huge difference.

I have made a few examples for you:

Note that all Analog Fours and Keys won’t sound the same since they are … analog. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I wasn’t expecting to be able to hear a difference.
Kind of thought it was marketing BS around the time of AK release.
But I can.

It is especially noticeable in the AK Raw and AF Raw samples.
I think it is most noticeable at the 3rd note in this sample. Just a generally fatter bottom.

ahhh, so it has got a difference. cheers si for the clarification…

wow the difference isn’t that small actually.
what is it exactly ? the osc`s or the filters or something else entirely?
can i send my a4 in and you guys give it the mo bass treatment ? :slight_smile:

How long has it taken you guys to actually say that?
You mention in the marketing, then ignore the big threads on the issue.
:confused: :zonked: :sleepy:

I compared both briefly before upgrading to the Keys. As the examples probably show, the osc’s with open filter sounded different. The AK has a little more low end. Filter one sounded the same. But filter 2 sounded slightly better, with a more rounded tone.

As Simon says, it isn’t a huge difference. Also, the audible difference is patch dependant.

Here I go, thinking I’m opening a subject already well covered. Turns out I was wrong :slight_smile:

Holy crap, to me that difference is huge! It’s not the bottom end alone, but it sounds fuller, broader in the lower frequency range, where the A4 tends to thin out quite a bit.

Not that I don’t get good results with the A4 but the AK sounds way more pleasing in this direct comparison.

We need an A4 MKII right now, or factory Upgrade also with added single voice-outs!!!111oneeleven :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Seriously WTF!

When the Analog Keys came out, the Elektron FAQ at that time stated that there was a small hardware difference between the AF and AK. There was a direct quote from the FAQ:

“The Analog Keys uses the same means of analog sound generation as the Analog Four, but features circuits fine-tuned for delivering deep bass.”

followed by some discussion on this thread about the differences, with commentary and insight from Jon of Elektron.

Until now, most commenters on the subject have said that the differences between the two units when playing the same patches and sequences are barely noticeable.

This is a separate issue from the AF/AK firmware update (1.1) that was installed on the AK when it first shipped and which enabled greater resonance on the ladder filter on both AK and AF.

I don’t believe it will, at all.

[/quote]
Nah, I think you’re right. The Minitaur is just perfectly calibrated for those low end tones. You don’t have to EQ or trim it in any way, if you record it right. It just works, right away.

[/quote]
Nah, I think you’re right. The Minitaur is just perfectly calibrated for those low end tones. You don’t have to EQ or trim it in any way, if you record it right. It just works, right away.[/quote]
Yep, and A4 or AK are great sequencers for it.
Either way, way to rattle the hive!

I fear this isn’t just about the low end, mid and higher registers seem to benefit a lot from the enhanced circuitry. I’d love to directly A/B some of my patterns and kits on both machines.

Looks like the Soundcloud link has been broken (or taken down?) but i prefer the J0n35y ear test in any case - comparing recordings of patterns from when I owned an A4 to the same patterns playing through my AK I honestly don’t hear much (if any) difference.

Whether a difference or not, as suggested, with a Minitaur you needn’t worry in any case!

Link is working okay here.

The only difference in the circuitry is that Filter 1 (the ladder filter) has been tweaked for bass. The difference is around 3dB according to one of our devs.

Still, very important to take into account that all units sound a tiny bit different since they are analog.

2 Likes

Link is working okay here. [/quote]
Odd - must’ve been a browser glitch

Thanks a lot simon, 3db actually can be a lot but it depends on 3db of what? Without any details or context it just doesn’t make any sense. :zonked:

Anyway, as much as I’d like to have that sound in the A4, I will not switch devices. The form-factor overweights the benefits of the sound.

If there would ever be an A4 MKII with the same enhanced sound and single outs, or even a factory upgrade, I’d be happy to spend my money but I don’t need the keys live, so I’ll just keep my little weakling for now… :wink:

1 Like

I was a little concerned about this before I bought my A4, as I had read online that some folks took issue with the bass response. I almost went for the AK instead, partly for this reason.

Having bought one and now using it fairly in-depth for weeks, I can honestly say I was worried over nothing. The A4 is capable of all kinds of deep and solid bass tones and I find that in general, it fits nicely with the low end coming from the Analog Rytm; it seems to “pocket” itself nicely.

I bought a Moog Slim Phatty at the same time, in order to play around with the CV functionality of the A4. The SP might hit some low frequencies a little easier, but there isn’t a huge difference, to my ears. Just depends on the patch.