A4 as a filter bank?

I’m trying use my A4 to filter audio I’m sending to its inputs but I’m having trouble getting good results. It seems that even if I have the filters all the way open most of the bass is missing. This is also happening when I just run the audio through the FX track, which I believe bypasses the filters completely…

This is frustrating because I was hoping use the A4 as an analog filter bank to route the cue’s of my OT too. This works great as long as I don’t want to filter any bass…

Any tips on using the audio inputs in general would be awesome, thanks!

Hello DB,
I run my machinedrum main out into the A4.
When I run the audio signal into the FX track, I have no degradation of sound. It’s a very clean output, and I might add just a touch of the reverb to it to round the sound a little. I find the sound quality when doing this is exceptional. The only thing I had to do was adjust the volume, as it actually boosts the signal volume. So… I might set the volume to 80 on the FX track to keep the levels consistent with what they were when I send the MDUW signal straight into my audio interface.
I also tried using tracks 1 & 2 to process the MDUW with filters, and like you, I found the signal quality was degraded to much. With the filters completely open, I just found the sound was cheapened. I used the overdrive, various filters etc… and it would have been great if I wanted to make glitchy stuff, but that’s just not the sounds I’m going for, so… I eventually abandoned this. I just send the signal to the FX track, and I’m very happy with the quality of sound:)
L8r man,

yeah, the MD with the A4 FX sounds nice!

I really like using the filter with it. I agree that sounds put through the filter can get messed up quickly though.

So I usually filter to taste, and mix this with the dry signal (FX track).

I think this is damn lush for coloring up the sound, e.g. you can go mad with filter p-locks, modulations, polyrhythms on the filter track, and still have fine control over it.

At this moment in my life i run digitakt drums through a4 mkii filters/overdrive in track 1 & 2( it’s stereo). DT sound gets a nice analog flavour and crispy edge. I really like it. Kick drums and bass sounds will lose their low end but i make those sounds with other gear. Nice feature to have in this synth.

2 Likes

Where is resonance? The manual says the flat frequency response is when res is 25 for the 4 pole. Highs and lows are rolled off below that.

2 Likes

What do you mean by that?
Of course if you increase RES from 25 value you’ll get resonance, dealing with Overdrive too.
Btw I wonder if theorical flat setting is 25 for Filter 2 too.

1 Like

Apologies-I meant what value was it set to. Not sure about the answer to your question.

IIRC F2 is flatter with 20 on MKI, not sure.