A4 & AR Major Sync Problem

Perhaps I’m captain obvious now but have you tried changing midi cables? I has some weird shit happening with some gear of mine and that turned out to be because of a broken midi cable.

Checked different cables and combinations with the same result. Even checked a complete different pair of A4 and AR of at a friends place. The same…

i have the same issue

when i start my DAW the bpm on the Rytm drifts 5 bps up then returns to the set value.

what am I missing here?

I bought both of my machines used, so not even sure what oz version, but I’ve had them tightly in sync the last few weeks. Could it be an odd time lfo delay or something?

recordz@.
this is an issue that you can come across with all Ar and A4.
I hope elektron will fix that as soon as possible in a future os update. in order to make it work somehow, set AR to receive only the transport and not the midi… In that way you will not have drifts on sounds or bpm jumps but you wont be able to make any changes on bpm in the track.

I don’t think that this issue known as clock jitter is an Elektron specific problem. Almost every synth with sequencer has exactly this ‘adjusting incoming clock signal problem’ - it’s due to the clock signal sended by DAW.

The jitter depends on many circumstances, i.e. activated Wlan or Bluethooth, or cables or interfaces inbetween.

I recommend an external midi clock that is capable to be synced by DAW’s audio signal. Not a very cheap solution, but imho the only one to garantee a tight sync on slaved maschines.

i had this fixed using the overbridge connection. bp is tight! however the Rytm skip the first beats when I start the beat using the DAW.

Did you try a midiclock :smiley:

lol… :joy:

Nikthas, I think I can help you: and it will be the same for all midi instruments:

Midi Works like this, in in lamo terms:It sends one syncpoint in a set tempo( depending on the tempo you set) in an interval.

It doesn’t tell the other machine: “we are set to tempo 120, go…”
The machine that gives the sync only sais: starttick tick tick tick tick…

So the other machine doesn’t know the tempo, so it will have to adjust after a little while.

Try this: set both machines to the same tempo before you press start, because then the following machine won’t be off so far.

Otherwise master machine will be like "starttick tick tick (in 120 for example) and the following machine might originally be set to, for example tempo 80 and will be like “ah I see a start coming, oh fuck there is the second tick already, how should I know that you are set to 120???”

In short: midi sync doesn’t say: I’m set to this tempo, Before you press start. The following machine can only estimate the tempo after a while. Setting the following machine closer to the tempo of the master machine will help.

After all midi is very old, but still awesome. You just have to adjust a little to it :wink:

The Audio drift, by the way, is caused by your delay changing the tempo, as it should! So TheDiePie is correct

It’s an ableton(host)issue, not Elektron. Ableton uses midi clock AND bpm. Their bpm drifts heavily. One of the reasons to avoid the computer entirely. However, it might be possible for Elektron to write a host specific property or parameter that would tap into ableton’s bpm from the overbridge AU. Not sure if upping your buffer would help…

please, anybody tell me that this has somehow been resolved? this does not happen when I clock my rytm from social entropys engine, but happens when its slaved from reaper. anyone?

Some sync issues were resolved with OS updates.
Which OS is your Analog Rytm running currently?

im using the latest one. actually manages to fix this issue by unhatching some options in reapers midi configuration- i could not believe that this was problem with the ar and got a little shocked. it was a matter of midi information reaper was sending out, so i unhatched unneccessary midi information that was by default sent out and now my rytm slaves 100% to reaper without hicking on the first couple of steps like when i slaved it to engine. :slight_smile: thanks for the reply though!

1 Like

Hey friends, I had some really bad sync problems in ableton live. After about 1 minute of playing AR desynchronised. I tired everything but nothing worked.
In the end I increased buffer size to 256 and reduced Margin to 50. Since that I haven’t got sync problems anymore - I don’t know why though. Maybe that will help? Just try around with buffersize and Margin.

Cheers

Yeah - I have this problem when using my MPC live to work as the “master.”
I have a Rythm mk 1, and A4 mk 1.
When I start the MPC, the tempo on the Rythm and A4 jump all over the place (within just 1-2 BPM, but it’s enough to throw things off).

Even when I set all of them to the same tempo, to start with, they still jump around. The the Rythm and the A4 don’t skip at the same time, or same pattern (which would suggest the signal from the MPC is inconsistent).

??? Why is this happening and how can it stop?

I have de same problem. You use the overbridge? When you uses the mpc and the overbridge you have send two clock s and i think this is the problem

No - this was just running it straight from the MPC

There should be a sticky topic on every electronic instrument forum “Midi Sync problems? Are you using Ableton?” It would save everyone so much time.

1 Like

Do you happen to remember which MIDI messages were being sent by Reaper that you disabled?