A story of resonance, any tips?

It turns out that some of the SCW oscillators on the the model samples are inclined to cause resonance because they are rather pure or something like that.
I had this problem whenever I used a D#3 D#4 D#5 and possibly upwards, lower octaves don’t create the problem.

I turns out that the steel pipe of my speaker stand has a hole to hide the speaker-cable at exactly 55cm which corresponds with the wavelength of D#5.
Plugging the hole helps a bit, detuning the pitch helps a bit but I really have to find a way to non-destructively detune the pipe, would filling with a light material help ?

1 Like

How did you figure all this out I wonder

1 Like

Stuff it with something absorbent (you’ll need a decent amount in there tho, don’t know how easy it is to get material in there). That’s often the approach in loudspeaker cabinets. You could also just completely fill it up with something like sand.

I have a weird brain, i associate super fast but also have seizures in my sleep and need to pop way to much pills to keep that under control. :sweat_smile:

Jokes aside, my train of tought was :

• If only a specific note resonates that correlates with a specific wavelength and it’s harmonics.
  • If the lower harmonics don’t resonate that means the resonating thing has a certain size…like an organ pipe.
  • The tube of my speaker stand has a hole…holes tune flutes for different notes.
  • measuring of the distance to the hole
  • googling wavelengths of D#

Gotcha !