A Show of Shows - Superbooth, SFF, NAMM - Spring 23

did anyone see any new class-compliant/USB audio interface multichannel mixers drop (not including those new Yamahas)? something in the Tascam Series XX class?

These are three very different shows, as i wrote earlier. Last year Superbooth tried SOOPERgrail, their guitar show. I’ve not heard about it this year. I don’t think any of the three should be compared. They each do their thing, no shame in that.

1 Like

Sure, but they don’t have all do their thing just weeks apart. And there are plenty of companies that will plan to be at all three. Spread that shit out.

So i knoticed there is a very small Do-It-Yourselfer, showing at SFF. The operation is called Heritage Synths and they will be showing a 70s-ish patching synth that is running on Pure-Data. Looks like a good concept.

“First member of the family”, sounds to me this is intended to be a product someday.

3 Likes

Some chance to that, but there is a lot of show activity this year in general, with a relaxation on face to face meetings. This thread could probably just keep going.

1 Like

This year I had such bad timing. Got invited to NAMM from a company that provides certain components for my synth modules. I’ve never actually been asked before. (Was asked to go to NAB a few times.) I have a trip too close, so can’t go :frowning:

Seems like it would be a good year though. Lots of cool new things.

5 Likes

Pretty sure there was another. I will remember if someone else doesn’t.

Also related and not mentioned was the IK Multimedia AXE audio interface, and also that high end 128 connection, 64 x 64 analog switch device, by a Canadian company. I can recall the name if anyone cares. ADDED : Flock Audio PATCH VT.

ADDED BTW : I’ve seen it being suggested the Axe I/O One is a best in show. It’s more a guitar sort of show so maybe.

3 Likes

Neumann has there first audio interface, and it is premium. The MT48.

Pretty sure there is at least one more.

1 Like

Reminds me of my merging Anubis. I’m sure it’s the same guts inside

2 Likes

I looked at it very closely and it looks exactly like the Anubis. I think you are right, probably exactly the same with a different color and logo. Marketing is so weird.

2 Likes

NAMM’s a industry event, it’s where a lot of the distribution & store deals for the year are made, where as SB is a public focused convention, so one doesn’t affect the other.

NAMM’s been slowly dying for years as music store chains collapse & manufacturers realise direct distribution ramps their income & digital launches at random points gain more attention, to the point where a lot of larger guitar brands don’t attend NAMM anymore.

3 Likes

Looking forward to hearing/seeing more from Kiviak and Aodyo and this does seem like a perfect venue for Arturia to drop something, too.

1 Like

I was expecting it to be one of the best, but it turned out to be one of the most boring ever. I had hopes for a mass of new releases, stuff that was set back due to recent events. Manufacturers being extra inventive in order to recoup their losses. But no, like you said, lackluster.

So nothing in there to excite me personally, but stumbling upon the Anyma Phi the other day has more than made up for that! Them (Aodyo) being at SFF in a few days sounds promising as well, so I’m really looking forward to that!

2 Likes

New DAW controllers from iCON

for example

5 Likes

There was an email from Teenage Engineering the other day, says they’re coming to superbooth this year with “some fun things to share”

Anyone want to take a stab at guessing what that’ll be? Chairs? :grin:

1 Like

A tent would be my guess.

7 Likes

Yep, for the small price of $7000 :slight_smile:

3 Likes

as in they only make one part of a set of things, no chairs for tables, no camping beds for tents etc?

That sounds quirky enough to be true :thinking:

1 Like

Or wellies.

My money is on a bin

4 Likes