A second mono synth to compliment my Model D. Trying to avoid overlap

Been really enjoying jamming on my Model D with the Digitakt, and I think i’m ready to add a second mono to the mix. Ideally it would be good to have something more “interesting” sounding, with minimal overlap on the D’s classic tones. Currently considering the Dreadbox Erebus, 0-Coast, and the Behringer Pro-1 (whenever that comes out). I’ve heard a lot of good things about the Neutron as well. Feedback appreciated, as always.

How about instead of another mono add a poly in the form of Blofeld?

2 Likes

0-coast is a nice mono partner, and no overlap. Volca modular also a nice option, but doesn’t play as well with others.

4 Likes

I’m using DIVA for my poly duties, and I like the knob per function-ness of the synths listed. I also think owning two monos just sounds kind of fun.

1 Like

0-Coast indeed contains some utility + unique sound + different synthesis paradigm.
Best “no-overlap” candidate IMO :slight_smile:

1 Like

Casio SK-1

Shruthi XT? I have one for sale :wink:

2 Likes

I really love the Neutron/Model D combo, they are my only monos and that suits me very well. I usually play them independently, which works out well for me, but I’ve connected the two occasionally and it’s super fun. They each have their own character, I think their tones complement each other very nicely. Even just using the Neutron’s patch bay to add modulation to the D is really interesting and flexible. And the price is ridiculous for what it is, I think the Neutron is hard to beat :thup:

Just want to throw the DSI evolver (desktop & only s/h) into the mix

2x Analog osc / 2x Digital osc / 2 x analog filter / 2x digital filter / MIDI / sequencer / fx / insane flexibility / mono

PS 2x is independent things on each side of a stereophonic soundstage

2 Likes

I still want to pick up another of these one day, I miss my old one.

1 Like

Checked out Novation Bass Station 2 lately? It’s just had another amazing firmware update that’s given it real power.

1 Like

Modal Craftsynth 2.0 - Very interesting reasonably priced mono synth coming soon.

Moog DFAM.
Some overlap, still very different. Certainly interesting sounding

1 Like

The Microvolt 3900. Lots of interesting and beautiful sounds in there. And with the state variable filter, wave folder and low pass gate, there is no overlap with the Model D.

1 Like

The Micromonsta? To me, it’s a great synth, and very fairly priced.

1 Like

2nd that!
Love mine :slight_smile:
It’s Evol! :japanese_ogre:

2nd that as well.

1 Like

have you tried to use 1-2 tracks on your digitakt as mono synths?

2 Likes

Yeah I do this from time to time with some Moog samples (or samples from whatever else). You can get pretty far that way, but having a second hardware synth seems a little more fun. That said it would be a luxury purchase, for sure.

I had actually forgotten about the Evolver, and now i’m remembering how good it sounds (even if the interface seems a bit wonky)

1 Like

Definitely avoiding overlapping.
I’m impressed by the DSI/pioneer Toraiz AS-1.
Basically a Prophet-6 mono synth, which is different enough from your boog D to be complimentary.
Got knobs but not knob per function, though the 1 layer menu is excellent and much more straightforward than Elektron menus. Also has free editor that’s wysiwyg knob per function, and fairly decent 64 step sequencer per patch.

Cons:
not sure how midi friendly it’d be with the DT.
Pioneer don’t respond to questions.
Effects suck some life from the amp on Bass patches but not so much pad/lead patches.

Pros:
Dirt cheap.
Dirt-cheap.
Same mods as Prophet-6 plus the 7 parameter slider.
2 VCO + Sub OSC (Tri not Square).
Loads of patch memory.
It’s basically a Pro-one.
You can see the Pro-One comparison

Good suggestions by the others, so let me add this, because it’s quite complementary to a typical Model-D sound:

• ARP Odyssey - I love the layout, it’s routing capabilities and particularly it’s sync - (for more deep, rough and angry sounds)
  • SEM - particularly the 12 dB variable state filter (for more beautyful sound)
  • MS-20 particularly it’s two filter (for funky, acid-like, angry sounds)